Cleaning auto syphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatman

Reaction score
How do you guys clean your auto syphon if you have one? It looks like only the end piece at the bottom of the syphon comes off. The other end pieces won't budge. It looks like they are glued on to me. I ran some light soap through the syphon and rinsed well then soaked it in idophor solution. I think I am good to go, but I am concerned about stuff in the cracks of the end pieces. Am I being paranoid?

Thanks.

Oxyclean or similar type product, soak in Iodophor and let dry.

+1 on the oxyclean if it's gotten funky. I do try to rinse it well and run some sanitizer through it after each use, so I don't often have to oxy it.

I mix up 5 gallons of bleach and run the whole bucket through the siphon a couple times, then I let it soak in the bleach. Then I rinse, and use star san.

First, I ALWAYS rinse really well when I'm done using it. Then, I let it soak in Oxy before using it. I rinse again, spray the outside with San Star and puch some through the whole tool

I Wash Everything with ANTI Bacterial Soap and Siphon then I Rinse and then I Idophor everything Im a Staralization nut with my beer equipment.

I just piss on it. :ban:

Actually, hot water rinse (also pump that hot water through) after using it.

I do the same prior to using it, but then I'll pump some sanitizer through and soak it the same as any other piece of gear that touches cool beer/wort.

RICLARK said:
I Wash Everything with ANTI Bacterial Soap and Siphon then I Rinse and then I Idophor everything Im a Staralization nut with my beer equipment.

Watch out that your soap isn't leaving fat deposits. If so, its bye bye head retention :(

Thanks for the feedback guys. Another question on this topic. After you sanitize where do you put your bottle caps, syphon, hose, etc. to prevent airborne bacteria from infecting it? I just finished sanitizing and I am about to syphon and bottle. I layed everything out on a tray layered with paper towel and covered it with paper towels. My bottling bucket and spigot is covered with plastic wrap. Is that a good approach?

Thanks.

I used to leave my bottle caps in a small dish of sanitizer until i grabbed them to put on top of the bottles. I try to leave everything sitting in sanitizer until I'm ready to use them or at least redip if it's been sitting out for 10 or more minutes.

I sanitize as I need things. I typically have a five gallon bucket half full of star san and a spray bottle. I keep everything in the bucket and give it a spray if it's a long item. Those wallpaper trays work well too.

Back