Cleaning and sanitizing grain bags.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Reaction score
Just curious what the thought is on the best method for cleaning and sanitizing grainbags? Should they be run through the dishwasher after cleaning all the grain out? Washing machine? Or just done by hand?

Cheers,

Dukester

They don't need to be sanitized - the boiling wort takes care of that. Just rinsing them in water and letting them dry is sufficient.

I've used one bag for my steeping grains for the last ten or so batches of beer. I just rinse it out well after dumping the grain, and let it dry. The wort is about to be boiled for an hour after it gets used, so sanitation concerns are zero.

The larger bags aren't so cheap, my large bag was like $6. I just rinse it and let it dry. No need to sanitize as all wort is sanitized when boiled.

I use paint strainer bags, the 1 gallon and 5 gallon sizes. They can get pricey if they're disposable. I run mine through the clothes wash after I rinse them out as much as possible.

I too use the paint strainer bags... Just rinse them out, then run them through the dishwasher, minus the dishwashing detergent on hi temp...

Back