Cleaning and rinsing kegs with a pump style washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
Recently I did a DIY of a keg washer, cause that is way simpler!

However, I've got a question for the group...

I usually put PBW into my water (star san made a crazy foamy mess!) and then hook it up and go from 15-20 minutes for most clean kegs.

Once that is done, I'm assuming I need to rinse...

1. How long should i rinse for?
2. Are there any special techniques other than hooking it to the pump and again and running clean water through it the second time?
3. How quickly should I be rinsing them after I have disconnected them from the cleaner?

Thanks!:mug:

Recently I did a DIY of a keg washer, cause that is way simpler!
The other day I put 11 kegs in the semi automatic washer, only loading and unloading is required.

I usually put PBW into my water (star san made a crazy foamy mess!) and then hook it up and go from 15-20 minutes for most clean kegs.

Once that is done, I'm assuming I need to rinse...

1. How long should i rinse for?
The outside I rinse for 1 minute and the inside 3 minutes.
My set-up does two water cycles.
Before the soap cycle the keg gets washed with water on both sides to get rid of all crap and after the soap cycle a water rinse.
Sanitizing cycle follows with SaniClean the non foaming StarSan version.

2. Are there any special techniques other than hooking it to the pump and again and running clean water through it the second time?
Get rid of as much soap out of the pump and lines as possible.
3. How quickly should I be rinsing them after I have disconnected them from the cleaner?
My washer rinses with water as soon the soap cycle is finished. Doing all your kegs with soap first and rinsing after should work as long you don't wait too long for soap deposits to build up and dry(some are hard to remove).

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

your setup is WAY beyond mine! That looks a bit beyond a hobby system.

My keg washer is just a fountain pump and and some pvc tubing and adapters!

Is PBW ok to use?

If they sit for say an hour, do you think that would be an issue?

Back