cleaning and coating a driking horn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
So here's a slightly different question. Who knows how to make a drinking horn NOT smell like wet dog?

I bought some buffalo horns from some place in Sedona for the purpose of drinking out of. of course i wasnt aware that when the inside gets wet, it smells worse than a soaked dog. i read that i should line it with beezwax, curing it with a strong stout, and just washing it with bleach. So has anyone ever been though this process? how exactly should i do it?

The links provided by worksnorth are pretty much spot on. I have made a couple of drinking horns, and you definitely want to clean the horn well with a bleach mixture, then treat the inside with beeswax, just make sure you coat the inside thoroughly. I like to coat mine then let a small amount pool in the very bottom to ensure whatever liquid you put in it only comes into contact with the wax. Also it should be mentioned that you wont want to put any hot drinks into it, as they will melt and remove the beeswax. The beeswax will add a slightly sweet honey smell, which is actually quite nice.

I like the idea of beeswax and it is usually a go to for sealing wood, but if you wanted warm beverages the majority of wood sealants are safe once they have cured. There are usually manufacturer directions on the container.

ok, yea i have a partial likeness to feeling like a viking when i drink. ha so making a mead horn seemed like a good thing to do. Thanks for the input! if it dont work then i have that ebay link (those are actually A LOT cheaper than some i was looking at a few months ago)

I don't have any tips, merely an observation

This website is awesome because of threads like this

It arrived!
image-3423859158.jpg

Remember--tip up (or to the side, or rotate as you drink), or you'll get an effect like das boot!

I used a good coat of wax on mine btw, and just rinse with water (or maybe hard alc). I wouldn't use bleach in it.

Back