Cleaning an old crab keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My boss has an old keg he used to cook crabs in and he is willing to give it to me.

I read a couple of posts about cleaning keggles and various chemicals, but they were in regards to cleaning old beer residue. An forseeable problems with cleaning a keg that used to contain crabs and, most likely, Old Bay seasoning?

unclesamskid said:
My boss has an old keg he used to cook crabs in and he is willing to give it to me.

I read a couple of posts about cleaning keggles and various chemicals, but they were in regards to cleaning old beer residue. An forseeable problems with cleaning a keg that used to contain crabs and, most likely, Old Bay seasoning?

The obvious answer is to clean it until it no longer smells like crabs. Oxyclean will help, if you fill it to the top with water and Oxyclean and let it sit overnight.

Good luck, and don't hesitate tossing it if you can't get rid of the crab smell.

Yeah, like the Cheese says, soak it in Oxyclean overnight. I would use 3 to 4 scoops for that hazmat job. You might try some TSP for a soak before tossing the keggle.

First, I doubt that the crab smell would permeate the stainless steel? I would soak it overnight in oxyclean and then do a hearty boil with P.B.W. after that it should be clean and not have any odor of crabs!!!:mug:

See, there are so many jokes that I could make about Cheesefood and crabs, but NO, NO, NO! ON TOPIC! the bossman says... ;)

I'm sure it'll be fine. Good soak, good rinse, it'll all come out. If not, ship it off to me and I'll get it cleaned up.

Seems to me that it woudln't hurt to boil some water in it, if you're having trouble getting the smell out. Then dump the water and give the pot a good scrub while it's hot.

Back