Cleaning an ancient beer crate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got one of these on craiglist and it needs some TLC. What would be the least abrasive method of cleaning a wooden beer crate?

5E35Hb5Mf3L13p53Hac5kc4823c91165a1569.jpg

Here it is.

It looks pretty good, nice find!
1) use mild dish soap (not dishwasher soap) and water with a soft cloth to rub the grime off with the soapy solutions. Don't use too much water, you don't want it to soak in. Quickly dry area with clean cloth.
2) if it's still dirty use a stronger solution, phosphate free TSP.
3) If you still need more power try something solvent based like napatha. Mineral spirits work well too but may take some more effort.

notes:
1) if the wood becomes sticky there is some finish coming off (lacquer). If you see damage or color is coming off- stop!
2) don't use anything abrasive like steel wool.
3) use gloves/PPE with solvents such as napatha (rashes and whatnot can occur).

post pics when done please.

Thanks guys, it's knocked around pretty good. I hope to clean it this weekend. I'm debating giving it as part of a wedding gift (alongside beer) to someone who is from Tonawanda and is an antique fan.

Would any kind of coatings be nice additions? Obviously not stain I want to keep the lettering. But like maybe clean it up and add a coat of lacquer?

petep1980 said:
Would any kind of coatings be nice additions? Obviously not stain I want to keep the lettering. But like maybe clean it up and add a coat of lacquer?

Not if you're giving it to a fan of antiques. Original all the way.

If i were getting it i'd want it the way it was. Maybe get rid of the caked on mud on the bottom, etc, but that's it. Lacquer would ruin it IMHO. Maybe some guy in a penthouse in NYC would like it all glitzed up but that box has lots of historic character just as is.

Okay guys, I'm just gonna clean it. Thanks. And I've decided I'm not close enough to these people to give them it. I'll keep this.

Back