Cleaning ale pail lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Racked my orange cream ale to secondary yesterday after 3 weeks in the primary. I had a blow off tube hooked up for the first week because the yeasties were going nuts. When I racked yesterday I noticed that the lid from my primary (ale pail) had a bunch of krausen remnants in the little slots on the underside of the lid. I soaked it over night hoping that it would help, it slightly did. I took a q-tip this morning and was able to get most of the gunk out, but there is some that is so far in there that I can't get to it.

Anyone have this problem before? Any advice on how to clean this?

I don't think the top is nearly important as the sides. The only thing touching the lid is generally krausen, which is like 95% yeast. No way could bacteria thrive in a competitive environment like that.

+1 to the dishwasher if a good soapy sponge and starsan don't work.

I have a sprayer attached to my utility sink and that does a good job of cleaning the lid.

Hope you get/got it clean ok; next time try not to let it dry out so much! I've learned this the hard way... sazzimm frazzimmm a(*@ *)@(

Back