Cleaning a Sanke....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soak with hot Oxy or PBW. I wouldn't boil either chemical. If there is stubborn gunk, scrub lightly with a green scrubbie.

I rinse my Sankes with boiling water a couple of times after opening them up, then soak them with hot water and OxyClean for 24-48 hours depending on how long it has been sitting around.

I've only done it a few times but it has worked ok for me.

If I am immediately taping a second (or sometimes third keg), I simply rinse very well with the hottest water I can.

Other than that, I pull it all apart, clean and sanitize, keg lube the seals, put it back together, and store in a plastic bag.

You'd be real suprised what you will find in them and after taking one apart a few times, it is very simple to put back together.

if its one already in use as a serving vessel I just rinse it out with hot water and then Starsan. If it one of the fermenters, I use oxyclean and hot water just a few gallons let it sit put the spear in and turn it over to get the top clean. Rinse and then I boil some water in it a gallon or two for 10-15 minutes this will get anything I missed . StarSan prior to refill.

not a corny... this is a 15.5 G sanke... were using it as a laggering vessel! so no tapping! no arms inside....

springer.... thanks :)

I have a utility pump that I put in a rubbermaid tub with about 5 gallons of warm oxyclean. I used PVC to make a couple of attachments for the pump... One is just a straight piece about 18" long. I turn a sanke upside down with the PVC sticking inside after removing the spear and let the pump run warm oxyclean in. I'm usually doing other things so it may sit there running for an hour. The other PVC attachment I made has tubes for cleaning Corny's and pumping cleaner through the posts at the same time.
After cleaned, I usually run clean water through for a while to rinse.
Finally, before using the sanke, I put a gallon or two of water in it and cover the top with aluminum foil. Poke a hole in the foil, and put it on the burner to "steam clean" and sanitize.

Always makes me a little nervous not being able to really see whats going on inside but I haven't had any problems yet. I saw one user here that glued a small mirror to a stiff wire to inspect the inside, but I haven't done that.

I use a keg/ carboy washer similar to the one described on my sanke fermenter and I haven't had any problems either harbor frieght has a 1800 gph sump pump on sale for 29 bucksuntil the 14 of december total cost was aroud 50 bucks

not a corny... this is a 15.5 G sanke... were using it as a laggering vessel! so no tapping! no arms inside....

springer.... thanks :)

get one of these from Derrin @ brewershardware.com he is a vendor here

SankeKitV2.jpg

makes it so much easier to use a sanke keg for fermentation I have one need to buy another from him

Here is the thread on it conversion

Back