Cleaning a Kettle (Dishsoap question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglysofa

Reaction score
I searched around and didn't see the answer I was looking for.

Do you use dish soap to clean a kettle? Will the use of soap in the kettle affect head retention?

I'm not sure how Dish soap would affect a kettle as I have never done it.I assume you are referring to a boil kettle.I simply fill mine with water after use and use a green scrubby and hit it real quick,then a quick rinse,thats all.Every several months or so I will scrub it with pbw if I feel like it.

Sure. I use dawn (the foaming one) myself. Rinse it out good (sure you would anyway).
The boil will easily get rid of anything else. I have certainly had no problems with it (and dawn seems to make the clean-up real simple and quick -and after a long brew day, I'm really ready to get everything clean, dry, and me to bed!)
come to mention it, I also use the same process for my mash tun. I like to keep my hardware clean as a whistle.

I use a little dishsoap with my kettle, no issues with head retention. I'm sure a good rinse is all you need.

Dish soap is pretty worthless unless you are trying to remove grease or oil which isn't in a kettle so here isn't really a need for it

Leave the dishsoap in the kitchen. A strong, unscented detergent without dyes or surfactants is recommended. One of the readily available powdered cleaners (One-Step, Straight A, B-Brite, PBW, etc) are better choices. When you get some buildup from beerstone in the kettle it will need to be treated with an acidic solution to loosen it up before cleaning.

Don't forget the classic Barkeeper's Friend, a great cleaner for stainless.

Swib said:
Don't forget the classic Barkeeper's Friend, a great cleaner for stainless.

I love that stuff. I just use the *soft* side of a sponge, and no elbow grease required at all.

Of course, the OP didn't mention what his kettle is made of, which is kind of important.

Oxyfree (the unscented oxyclean) I love that stuff! As for dish soap, I have read to never use it on your brew gear.(yes I am sure people do and have no problems...) It only takes a tiny amount of residue to destroy a batch of beer and it can be hard to get it all out...

GL

Back