Cleaning 1" Blow-Off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weberju

Reaction score
I was just wondering what some of you guys do to clean your blow-off tubes. I soak mine in PBW, for a few days and then run hot water through it. This doesn't seem to work very well, since it still smells like beer, and is slightly discolored afterwards. Is there anything that I can do, to thoroughly clean this tube. Thanks alot.

what material are you using for a blowoff tube that you would go through to trouble of cleaning it. I just toss the tube and use a new one they are not very expensive.

Don't Just Drink It, Homebrew It.

Hmmm...cleaning my blow off Tube. Thats one piece of tubing I dont really worry about too much. I will soak it in boiling water and then sanitizer after use, and prior to using, but replace it when needed.

My opinion is, buy a roll of each of the size tubings you use, so you have it to replace when needed.

2 Tbsp unscented household bleach to 5 gal cold water. If you need less solution, just keep the ratio of bleach to water the same. Soak it overnight, 24 hours max. Rinse with warm/hot water.

Works great to loosen hardened beer stone or fermentation stains from your fermenters too. Just don't soak anything SS in it.

You could keep throwing the tube away, but I figure waste not want not.

weberju said:
I was just wondering what some of you guys do to clean your blow-off tubes. I soak mine in PBW, for a few days and then run hot water through it. This doesn't seem to work very well, since it still smells like beer, and is slightly discolored afterwards. Is there anything that I can do, to thoroughly clean this tube. Thanks alot.
When you soaked it in PBW, did you get it fully submerged and filled? A couple hours in PBW then a good rinse with hot water is all I do.

I wonder if your problem was soaking it for days...PBW loses it's effectiveness after a few hours...after that you were just soaking it in dirty water.

Back