Cleanest yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive found that WY1007 and white lab's WLP080 cream ale blends are very very clean fermented at lager temps. The WY1007 will smell sulfury until its a week or two old though

Hellow

In your opinion what is the cleanest yeast and use temp?

Thanks

One of the most versatile and clean yeasts I've tried is White Labs Mexican Lager, WLP940. As a lager yeast, it's almost bland. Even fermented in the low 60s, it retains a very clean profile without the bizarre esters. You pick up some degree of esters, but nothing like a German lager yeast fermented warm. I tried it in a "steam beer" style, pitching at 58 and fermenting in the low 60s and was somewhat disappointed in the lack of esters. I heavily hopped the beer which masked some of the esters, but I found nothing abnormal or off.

It finishes clean, with little sulfur, and flocs quite well.

Styles that this would work very well, in addition to lagers, are altbier, baltic porters and really anything where you want minimum of yeast character where you can control fermentation temps to maintain 64F or less.

Compared to K97 / WY1007, it's more flocculent, faster, less sulfur, and just as clean at equivalent temps.

Optimal on WLP940 would be, in my experience, around 54F for the bulk of fermentation.

WLP029 Kolsch yeast is as clean as a whistle regardless of temperature. Wyeast 1007 Alt yeast is more finicky and can give yeasty and sulfury flavors. The Wyeast and White Labs equivalents of each are not, in fact, equivalent -- try only the two mentioned above.

1007 is very clean and I'll second the sulfury smell, but it conditions out. 1007 likes it cool, like mid to upper 50s.

The Scottish ale yeasts are really clean too, but they're low attenuators.

The Chico strains are clean, easy to handle, pretty forgiving, and easy to find at just about any LHBS.

I've used S-05 from 55 ambient all the way to 85 ambient (yikes) and it has always come out clean. I prefer it around 60.

P.S. First post! Finally....

Back