Cleaner taste ruins beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotlgw

Reaction score
I kegged my Cherry Pale Ale in my brand new three-gallon keg. It carbonated via sugar primer (no gas tank yet) ad as of a couple weeks ago tasted awesome. The bottled version was nice, but the keg version was creamy and just fantastic.

The keg sat in a fridge at 45 degrees for another two weeks and I finally had a chance to try it again last night. After trying two glasses and trying to place the off taste that I was getting, I suddenly remembered why it seemed familiar. There was a hint of the caustic lime-ish smelling cleaner that originally came in the keg. I had not detected this before but there is now is, ruining my fine ale.

Is this normal? Can you ever really get that crap out of the keg?

Did you replace all of the o-rings? What was the origin of the keg? Are you sure it wasn't previously used for carpet cleaning or window tinting?

I got it from Midwest and it was previously owned by the 7-up corporation. It was shipped refurbished with their nasty cleaner in the bottom

I think you're smelling 7-up syrup, not a cleaner. When they say "refurbished" they really mean, "not leaking". It says nothing about whether they replaced the lid O-ring or not. You should soak it overnight with oxyclean and replace the lid O-ring at the very least.

If that stuff was still in there, that implies that not only did you not clean out the keg like you needed to, but you didn't sanitize it either...

Actually, I cleaned it with hot soapy water, let that sit several hours, then rinsed, let that sit as well, and then filled it with Idophor solution and left it for a day. After drying it still had a faint scent of the original cleaner.

If I have a keg like that, I clean it and then let it air out for days. Then I rinse it out and sanitize. That obviously requires some leadtime.

Back