Clean keg even though adding same beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number40fan

Reaction score
Anyone not clean their keg when putting the same beer back in? About to kick one and have another finishing in the fermenter that will takes its place. Same beer that is in there now will go back in. Just curious.

I'd probably at least give it a rinse and spray with star San. I'm pretty anal about sanitation though. Depending on how long you take to go through a keg you could get away with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know when I kick a keg there's a bit of sludge at the bottom. I wouldn't want to mix that all back into the new beer. If you went from the fermentor in through the beer out line, I can't see how it would be a sanitation issue.

I rinse them out at the very lease to wash out any sediment from the prior beer n hit with some starsan.
Most of the time I completely disassemble, but not always.

If the same beer is going in, and no signs of infection...rinse it, sanitize it, fill it.

I break my kegs down every time I use them, it takes maybe 10 minutes to break it down and start the oxiclean soak.

Yep, me too. I don't always soak in oxiclean, but I clean and rinse, and then sanitize.

I even wash my dishes when I eat dinner, even if I'm having leftovers later. Call me crazy, I guess, but I think not even bothering to clean a keg is like eating off of dirty dishes. It takes NO work to clean a keg, and it's fast and easy. There really isn't any reason to not do it.

Man I haven't broken down a keg in ages since I switched to the matts keg washer thing they had featured on the AHA site. Now I just run it all through the disconnects...so easy

I've heard that some breweries put new beer into their bright tanks without cleaning them, if it's the same kind if beer.

Anyone not clean their keg when putting the same beer back in? About to kick one and have another finishing in the fermenter that will takes its place. Same beer that is in there now will go back in. Just curious.

Is the little time it takes to cleanse & sanitize your keg worth more than the cost in materials & time you have invested in your new brew??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This was all just a thought in my head. I already have a clean keg ready to go and having a keg/corny washer makes cleaning easy. Figured I would toss out the question just to see.

Back