Clean Feed Wheat...can I use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButchTN

Reaction score
This may be an overly stooopid question, but I have some (like 250 lbs) of clean feed wheat left over from planting our dove field. We would have used it completely, but whatever hurricane/tropical storm that blew threw our area around September 1st put a halt to our planting.

I've only done extract brewing, but I wouldn't mind tinkering around with an all grain for a test run. Also out LHB shop is GOB so I'm plushed up on some extra equipment that's just sitting around doing nothing.

Certainly I don't expect to use anywhere near the amount of wheat I have, but it's just sitting in my garage calling me.

Any ideas? :mug:

Totally OT:

What's a dove field? Them things with wings? I thought they came in eggs?

Color me confuzed.

OT...off topic? I thought this was the general discussion board?

LOL...Yep they do begin in eggs and they end up fully marinated, wrapped in bacon, and cooked on my grill. Seriously though, my state is one of the few left that is able to top sew (which means you don't have to put the seed in the ground, just on top) a grain field and hunt over it. This is a normal agricultural process, but the catch is, if you are sewing a dove field, you don't want the grains to sprout. I guess it's sort of antifarming.

Dove are the most hunted game bird in the US. Their populations have to be controlled because they have the potential to do a million dollars worth of crop damage a day...so I've been told.

I fully warned everyone it was a stupid question...LOL!

If you get into AG, raw wheat is used quite often. If it is feed wheat it shouldn't have been sprayed so you should be fine. Recommended usages up to 20% of your grain bill in things like: Wit, Hefe and some others. It will make your beer cloudy. You'll have to crush it.

Back