Clawhammer type vs brew boss controllers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB504

Reaction score
What are people’s thoughts on the controllers of there 2 I am looking at both and having trouble pulling the trigger.
while clawhammer is simple and sleek, and brewboss v3 can automate if wanted is still a more complex controller. Systems in all do the same and have the same 5500 at 240
Cost difference is there. But let’s say for argument these 2 are the same price which is the best system to get. I’m ruling out price and wondering about system itself cause I’m either buying a used brewboss or a new clawhammer. Ch being more money at that point

thanks and cheers

Take a look at brewhardware.com. Give Bobby a call, tell him what you are looking for and see what he can put together for you.

If I was looking - I think I would consider this - also if cost comes in to play look at Ink Bird. Just my $.02

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/brewcommander.html
I really liked the way the brew commander looks and the operation is excellent... for one heat point. so you can only really automate the mash OR the HLT or the Boil. this works best for a BIAB system. if you are using a more traditional three vessel system, they sell additional relays and add on modules that end up costing you a lot more, and seem like it would be very clunky at that point. disclaimer: I've never used it, but after researching it, that's my thoughts.

A brewcommander allows you to add on SS relays. but you are limited to a single temp probe. When you add a second SS relay, you have two elements turning on and off in unison.

If you want two vessels to be controlled, you require two brewcommanders. (unless you want to do lots of manual cable swapping)

Before purchasing a brewcommander, the critical comments on this forum. While it has it's advantages, there is some legitimate critiques of the device.

Back