Clawhammer Controller Teardown Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidman

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 120V Clawhammer eBIAB setup, but would like to upgrade it in the future. Most likely I'd be looking to do a custom setup with craftbeerpi after a couple years. I'm curious how recyclable the clawhammer controller's innards are: with their newer "gray box" controller, I fear it's been customized to hell and doesn't have much in the way of reusable PID / relays.

I'm 99% sure its circuit board centric like the Inkbird IPB16 since its based off that design. The screen and buttons are integrated into the face of the controller box, so you cant really pull it out of the casing and transplant it into something else without really really custom work. Cheaper and easier to just get an Inkbird Pid + SSR and then piece together whatever else you need.

This is from experience of looking at my own IPB16 that i hacked up to run 2 pumps and a single element. It works, but ultimately i've been collecting parts to build my own dedicated 120v controller

I'm 99% sure its circuit board centric like the Inkbird IPB16 since its based off that design. The screen and buttons are integrated into the face of the controller box, so you cant really pull it out of the casing and transplant it into something else without really really custom work. Cheaper and easier to just get an Inkbird Pid + SSR and then piece together whatever else you need.

This is from experience of looking at my own IPB16 that i hacked up to run 2 pumps and a single element. It works, but ultimately i've been collecting parts to build my own dedicated 120v controller

Thanks for the reference, it looks nearly identical to Clawhammer's controller. I agree it's likely a collab/rebrand. Luckily it looks like someone was kind enough to crack it open and share the innards here.

Yeah if you search my threads I’ve started you will find one where i open mine up and switch the alarm outlet to a pump outlet with a switch, and I added another outlet on the side for a water pump

To get some closure on this, I received my unit today and cracked it open. Sure enough, the control board is labeled IPB16-PW(15A) REV:2.0, indicating it's definitely a customized variant of Inkbird's IPB16 controller.
View media item 70491Take a look at the gallery here for more images. Nothing terribly exciting

There really isn't much to recycle of any consequence. You'd recover much more by reselling it as is except for the fact that most people would just buy the IPB-16S for much less. The logic board and display would be replaced by craftbeerpi. The SSR is big enough to run 240 volt but without a heat sink, you can't use it.

So basically now you have 3 options

1) Get an original IPB16 and hack it up
2) Get a Clawhammer IPB16 if you want stock functionality with a PT100 sensor and pump/element on/off
3) Get the new IPB16 and change your temperature probes

And agreed from above. the only parts that you can really recycle are the SSR (40amp Inkbird), and the plug outlets. Everything else is tied tot he board. Easier just to buy a new SSR for $15 and start fresh

Back