Classic American Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KantDance

Reaction score
Hey all,
Can anyone help me with a GOOD AG American pilsner recipe? By "good", i mean one you have brewed yourself and really liked. Not just something from the net or some book, please. Open to any suggestions. Thanks!!:)

Jamil's Classic American Pilsner

6 gallons

6.9 lbs Pilsner LME
2.6 lbs Brewer's Corn Syrup

1.82 oz Czech Saaz 3.5% 60 min
1 oz 20 min
1 oz 10 min
1 oz 5 min
1 oz 0 min

White Labs WLP-800 Pilsner Lager or Wyeast 2001 Urquell

All-grain (70% Efficiency)
9.5 lbs American 2-row
3.8 lbs Flaked Corn

Mash at 148 for 90 min with 90 min boil

Brewsmith said:
I don't have one myself, but how about one that has won awards?

The recipes for award winners seem to be somewhat incomplete depending on the entrant and the contest. what i'm asking is for so help from HBT. Maybe someone here has brewed a pre-prohibition they particularly liked and would like to share the recipe. Thanks anyway. :)

This is hard to make but then it is authentic Pilsner too.
Link: http://***********/recipe/1453.html

American Pilsner

An American Pilsner can be summed up in two words — flavorless and flawless. American Pilsners have little malt flavor, hop character or body. But, these elements are balanced and there are no faults. To make a good American Pilsner, you need to make a highly fermentable, high-adjunct wort, pitch plenty of yeast and hold the fermentation temperature constant.

Older, But Wiser
American Pilsner
(6 gallons/23 L, all-grain)
Malt Liquor: (5 gallons/19 L)
OG = 1.051 FG 1.007
American Pilsner: (6 gallons/23 L)
IBU = 12 SRM = 3 ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients
4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Briess 6-row Brewer’s malt
2.7 lbs. (1.2 kg) Briess Less Modified Pilsner malt
2.7 lbs. (1.2 kg) rice syrup solids
4 AAU Cluster hops (60 min)
(0.66 oz./19 g of 6% alpha acids)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
1/4 tsp yeast nutrients (15 mins)
Wyeast 2007 (Pilsen Lager) or
White Labs WLP840
(American Lager) yeast
(3.5 quart/~3.5 L yeast starter)
1.0 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
In your kettle, heat 2.1 gallons (7.9 L) of strike water to 142 °F (61 °C), stir in grains and mash at 131 °F (55 °C) for 15 minutes. Heat to 140 °F (60 °C) — raising the temperature about 2 °F (1 °C) every minute and stirring constantly —and rest for 30 minutes. Transfer mash to lauter tun and stir in boiling water to raise the temperature to 168 °F (76 °C). Let rest for 5 minutes. Recirculate, then collect wort (about 3.33 gallons (13 L). Add water to make enough wort to boil for 90 minutes. Add hops with 60 minutes left and add rice syrup solids, Irish moss and yeast nutrients with 15 minutes left in boil. Ferment base beer (malt liquor) at 53 °F (12 °C). Dilute 5 gallons (19 L) of malt liquor with 1 gallon (3.8 L) of deaerated water to yield 6 gallons (23 L) of American Pilsner. Boil and cool water to deaerate. (You may also want to add a small pinch of potassium metabisulfite to the water).

Run a google search for "Your Father's Mustache". That is an award winning CAP recipe. I've got a batch lagering right now. One hint, if you use flaked maize, try to get the freshest you can. It stales quickly. You could also use polenta and do a cereal mash.

well, I really liked mine, it has won no awords but it did go across the palate of a GABF judge, friend of mine and she liked it. I work in a craft brewery and still find time to home brew on the weekends. this beer was well liked by my brewery coworkers for what it is worth.

14# briess 6-row pale malt
6.4# briess flaked corn
2.4# briess caramel vienna 20L
1.4# briess carapils
Strk temp 155 (I lose about 3 deg. F in 45min-60min)
OG 1050 11.85 gal. TG 1008
IBU 30.6
hops
35 Grams Hall Tradition 6.2% aa @ 60 min
28 Grams Hall Tradition 6.2% aa @ 40 min
42 Grams CZ Saaz 3.2% aa @ 20 min.
25 Grams CZ Saaz 3.2% aa @ 5 min.
I chill w/ Jamils whirlpool imersion chiller.
chill to 46-48 and pich a nice big pitch of wyeast 2124 ferment at 49-51f. @ 1020 I raised the temp to 57 for a D-rest. once it passed "the dyacital test" I chilled to 32 and hit it with some Jello. it was tasting nice in a weak or 2 and just kept getting better with age. this beer had a nice hop profile, ballenced by a corn sweetness.

Back