Clarity: S-04 vs. S-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytowers

Reaction score
I've recently brewed a ten gallon, all-grain batch of a somewhat standard IPA. For comparison reasons, I split the 10 gallons in half and used S-04 for one, and S-05 for the other. Given the high sedimentation characteristics of the S-04, I was expecting that batch to be much clearer than the S-05. However, the S-05 came out crystal clear, where as the S-04 batch turned out somewhat murky. When draining the boil kettle into the carboys I alternated back and forth to create a more consistent product on both sides, so that rules out the possibility of draining more of the protiens, bottom sediment, etc... into one of the fermentation vessels.

Has anyone experienced this before?

No not at all. My experience is that S-05 doesnt floc even as well as 1056 or 001 and 04 flocs much better. Interesting. Do you have pictures?

JonK331 said:
No not at all. My experience is that S-05 doesnt floc even as well as 1056 or 001 and 04 flocs much better. Interesting. Do you have pictures?

One of my latest batches (amber ale) was brewed with us-05 and it is brilliantly crystal clear.

Yes, US-05 is much clearer then S-04. And it should be, that's one of the major differences between an English ale yeast and an American ale yeast. Now if you want to try REALLY clear yeast, try WLP051 or WY1272. It's simply amazing how clear those yeasts are.

Yes, US-05 is much clearer then S-04. And it should be, that's one of the major differences between an English ale yeast and an American ale yeast.

How so? In my experience US-04 flocs like a brick when its done. Granted, I've never done a side by side, but my US-04 yeast cakes are much more compact and less yeast gets transferred to my kegs after a 3 week primary with US-04 as judged by the sediment I pull on the first pour.

One big thing is the quality of the ferment. If the temperature fluctuates too much, even with a high flocculating yeast, you'll get yeast stuck in suspension sometimes.

I was able to use S04 in a pub without filtration for all but the lightest beer (1.044, 100% 2row), 1056 pretty much required filtering for anything lighter in color than a porter... now, we're talking about a commercial situation and looks sell as much as other qualities, but the point is that the S04 simply cleared up better...

I used S-04 for a blonde ale a few weeks ago. It fermented out very fast and dropped crystal clear in a week.

safale-04

10Der_3.jpg

safale-05

ClearBeer.jpg

safale-04

Sterling_Pour1.jpg

Both should yield a very clear beer. A "standard" IPA, the two strains may behave differently with the hazing effects of dry hopping.

I'm a stnadard '04 user now and my beers run crystal after just a couple weeks in the keg.

Yes, US-05 is much clearer then S-04. And it should be, that's one of the major differences between an English ale yeast and an American ale yeast. Now if you want to try REALLY clear yeast, try WLP051 or WY1272. It's simply amazing how clear those yeasts are.

I think you're backwards. English yeasts tend to floc much faster/more compact than American strains.

I'm a stnadard '04 user now and my beers run crystal after just a couple weeks in the keg.

Pretty much everything is going to be crystal clear after a couple weeks at serving temperature! One of the huge advantages of kegging, IMO.

Wow I'm in shock. I don't use S-04 much, but I do use US-05 and Nottingham as my house yeasts and I thought that US-05 was always more clear than Notty. Maybe I'll give S-04 another chance.

IMG_20120211_152923.jpg

Centennial Blonde fermented with S-04. This is at week 3. Took this picture while transferring to the keg so it is not carbed yet.

Latest posts

Back