Clarity AG vs.Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshymas

Reaction score
I have just added some gelatien to my first AG batch and it seems to me that this batch is much clearer then the Extract kits that I have done befor. Yes I have used irish moss and I have used gelatien on the past batches. Just would like your thoughts.
Thanks

I've only done 2 AG's thus far and I thought they were clearer than my extracts as well. These were the 1st that I used irish moss in though so it was either that, the AG or it's my imagination.

Someone here has posted that AG can be cloudier than extract but that may be related to the individuals sparge process?

hhmm? i have only used irish moss once, and the beer didn't seem any clearer than when i didn't use it. a lot of it has to do with transfer techniques, style brewed, yeast used, etc. i would say an all-grain will have potential for more suspended proteins in the final brew than an extract batch, due to the fact that your brewing from nothing but grains. an extract will yield a lighter SRM (color), and possibly be a little clearer than an AG batch. just my crooked way of thinking.....

Back