clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkslinger82

Reaction score
Ive done a few AG batches thus far. They have all surpassed any of the extracts Ive made by far, but the only thing I cannot get is that they seem to be cloudy. I made edworts Haus Pale a few weeks ago and cold crashed it for 7 days when fermentation was finished, but its still cloudy. It tastes really good, but cloudy. Is there anything I can do to clarify it to that crystal clear golden brew I see posted up here? Thanks for the help. You guys are great!

Add 1 tsp of Irish Moss the last 15 mins of your boil. I am absolutely blown away but the great results everytime. You can also use a product called Whirlfloc tablets but from I understand they are more expensive and do the same job as the Irish moss does.

Whirfloc is generally about the same price or less than irish moss. They are protein coagulants that need to be boiled in order to work. Use them in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil. This should clear it up if it is chill haze you are experiencing. You may also just have used a lowly flocculating yeast, which yeast did you use?

I really think the keys to clarity are giving your beer enough time in a secondary fermenter and chilling your wort quickly, but if that doesn't do it I'm not sure what the best place to start is. I hear that using different hops can help (is it higher alpha acid? John Palmer says something on the subject but I'm too lazy at this hour to find the reference). A protein rest may also help.

Or you could use egg whites in the same way that you do for clarifying consommé or maple syrup.

I've used Gelatin with reasonable success... I'm not COMPLETELY satisfied, but it does help. When your beer is done, throw a 1/2 tsp into secondary, stir, and let it sit a couple days more before you bottle.

I really think the keys to clarity are giving your beer enough time in a secondary fermenter and chilling your wort quickly ...

I think this is the most surprising, and reasonable answer. Sometimes giving it only another week will fix the problem. Patience is the BEST virtue when brewing. Then again, sometimes Irish Moss and other practices are required. Experiment is the best thing.

Ive done a few AG batches thus far. They have all surpassed any of the extracts Ive made by far, but the only thing I cannot get is that they seem to be cloudy. I made edworts Haus Pale a few weeks ago and cold crashed it for 7 days when fermentation was finished, but its still cloudy. It tastes really good, but cloudy. Is there anything I can do to clarify it to that crystal clear golden brew I see posted up here? Thanks for the help. You guys are great!

A Whirlfloc tablet with about 10 minutes left in the boil is a great start. With quick wort chilling, it will drop the majority of the hot break proteins to the bottom of the kettle.

I've had success with a cold 2ndary (about 45° to 50°) and gelatin. The unflavored grocery store brand is fine. It only takes about half a packet (1/8oz or 3.5g) in half a cup of water. Sprinkle the gelatin on the cool water and let it sit about half an hour to hydrate. Bring to a simmer (about 170°) to dissolve completely and then cool it to room temperature. Swirl gently into the cool 2ndary and give it a couple of days to work its magic. Even after fining with gelatin I've had no problems with there being enough yeast left over to carb the bottled beer.

Hope this helps,
Chad

I've had great success with irish moss in my brews. I was surprised how clear my pales were with irish moss and some time in the secondary. Unfortunately I forgot to add it to my latest 5gal batch and it's not clearing as nicely in the secondary, so I'm going to try the gelatin trick a couple of days before bottling.

The nice thing about irish moss is that you use so little and it's so damn cheap!

vfinch, I gotta tell ya... I've been using Irish Moss for quite a while now and, if I were to testify in a court of law... I'd have to say it makes little difference in the clarity of my beer. If I did not use gelatin, I'd have cloudy beer. Recommended dosage of Irish Moss is .5 tsp/ 5 gal batch... well, frankly, I'm doing a full tsp.... doesn't matter, it seems to make little difference to my brews...

I have bout a 1/2 lb left and I'll continue to use it, but I'm not a believer like many here are. Must my 2 cents.

I've got a very different idea for you. VORLAUF TILL YOUR ARM HURTS. I've had one all grain that refused to clear and it was one of my earliest. I'm sure I didn't set the grain bed as well as I could have. Now I vorlauf at least a gallon or more for each of the runnings. My latest golden lager is as clear as a bell.

Back