Clarifying hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

constantinep

Reaction score
I have gal of cider made from unpasteurized apple juice. Unfortunately I did not add any pectic enzyme before I started fermentation in early Nov. I have it secondary now and it is really cloudy and wondering if adding pectic enzyme will still help?

I have gal of cider made from unpasteurized apple juice. Unfortunately I did not add any pectic enzyme before I started fermentation in early Nov. I have it secondary now and it is really cloudy and wondering if adding pectic enzyme will still help?

Yes, if you have a pectin haze it should help.

Thank you...

Ok. Not sure if you know the answer this as well but here goes... Like one of the other posters my cider is really dry. I plan on adding some potassium sorbate prior to kegging but want to sweeten it a little. I was thinking of just adding some unfermented apple juice when keg the cider. Is that a reasonable method or should I try something else?

Thank you...

Ok. Not sure if you know the answer this as well but here goes... Like one of the other posters my cider is really dry. I plan on adding some potassium sorbate prior to kegging but want to sweeten it a little. I was thinking of just adding some unfermented apple juice when keg the cider. Is that a reasonable method or should I try something else?

That would work. Some use sugar, some use brown sugar, some use apple concentrate, honey, etc. Whatever appeals to you would be fine.

Interesting.... I use my own raw cider and after 11 days the cider is very clear. I did not add anything.

Back