clarifying/filtering mead

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tenchu_11

Reaction score
I've had some habiscus, cinemon & dried orange peel mead fermenting for 2 weeks. Everytime i open the bucket it seems clear until i get some out with my wine theif only to find it cloudy. Most of the loose particles, of orange peel zest have settled to the bottom but i'm afraid when i transfer to a secondary the particles will get sucked up. I was thinking of sterilizing a white t-shirt cutting it up and using a patch of it as a filter on my siphoning hose (its finer than cheese cloth which the particles escaped from during fermentation). I was thinking of using a rubberband to hold the t-shirt in place around the mouth of the siphoning hose...question one will the rubberband give an off taste? If so is there a way to avoid it? Second question (this is my first mead that isn't just honey) how long before my mead clarifies? Do I just need to let it sitt longer or leave it out over night in my 40F to make any particles sink. Thank you

malkore

Reaction score
at 2 weeks you have a ways to go before you do anything.

Time is the best clarifier, and some crash cooling isn't a bad idea.

I wouldn't filter it at all.

MedsenFey

Reaction score
Malkore is right. Most of it will drop out with time, but first fermentation must complete and de-gassing must take place. When you do run into a batch with particle or seeds that need to be strained out, I find nylons stockings works wonderfully, and they are easy to sanitize. It helps if you have a wife/girl-friend to purchase them. Otherwise the sales person may give you some strange looks or make some comments - "Sir, I don't think those are your size." :)