Clarifying agent question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepfat

Reaction score
I have about one week left in primary with my dry mead and I'm wondering if anyone uses a clarifying agent prior to bottling. If so, what is it that you use.

Does it just naturally clarify during bottle aging?

I'm not sure I would go with the instructions. That is like a split second of time in the life of mead. What is the gravity? I've had mead take a couple months just to reach FG so those instructions are making me nervous.

It is of course your mead but right now it probably tastes like rocket fuel and could really benefit from some aging.

I'm not sure I would go with the instructions. That is like a split second of time in the life of mead. What is the gravity? I've had mead take a couple months just to reach FG so those instructions are making me nervous.

It is of course your mead but right now it probably tastes like rocket fuel and could really benefit from some aging.

I hear you. It does have some solid fermentation still going after 3 weeks in primary. I read that you should keep in in primary until it reaches a 1.000 FG then rack it to bottles to age 6 mos.

I wouldn't do that. I'd rack to secondary, and leave it until clear (probably 2-3 months) and no more lees drop. Then, I'd rack it again. I'd wait about 4 months, and then if no fresh lees were dropping, I'd consider bottling it.

Your kit instructions don't seem to be very good for mead. What kit is it?

Back