"Clarification" needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone0n74

Reaction score
I've done lots of googling and searching in the thread about the use of gelatin in the beer to clear it up. What confuses me is when to use it. Different threads/searches say different things. I have heard to put it in the bottom of the secondary, and rack on top of it.. but I have also read to put it in the keg before force carbonating the beer. I have read to put it in as the same temp of the beer, but if you are cold crashing, would you need to refrigerate the gelatin first... for something that is supposed to "clear" your beer, the directions I have read are anything but.

I think it's probably not clear because you can do it a few different ways.
I don't secondary, so I just put it in the keg. I heated it up on the stove with about a cup of water til it was mixed in, then let it cool down to about room temp and tossed it in the keg.

Only did it once and it worked awesome. The keg I put it in was already mostly carbonated and sitting in my keezer cold.

Back