Clamps for March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got my march pump and I'm planning on using it to transfer water only. I'll be using it to pump strike and sparge water from my HLT to my mash tun when I start doing 10 gallon batches.

The Tun already has a 1/2" ball valve with a barb that will accept 1/2" id silicon hose.

The HLT will have the same ball valve / barb

Can I just put the same ball valves on the "in" and "out" of the march pump and using something like THESE?

to hold the hose on the barbs? I know QD's and Cam Locks are popular but don't see any reason why this wouldn't work as long as it's enough pressure to hold it on the barb tight enough.

I've searched and read quite a bit on the different options but didn't see anyone using something like a quick clamp (unless I missed it)

Thoughts?

You don't need a ball valve on the in and out side, just the out. Those clamps should be fine, how can you go wrong with a Camaro clamp?
If you're just pumping water you really don't even need a valve at all, my hlt re-circ pump just runs wide open.

-

I second that. Only put valves on the outlet side (the march pump impeller is magnetically driven so it won't burn the motor up if it stalls or the outlet is too small).
I can see the valve used to control the sparge.

That type of clamp should work OK, but keep in mind that they are not stainless and will eventually corrode. Not a huge problem as they probably won't be in contact with the beer at any point, but something to be aware of.

They were with the brass fittings in plumbing. On the pegboard with the packages of compression fittings and such.

Why not just use worm drive clamps , cheap & made out of stainless
B001HJYDMY

I think he's looking for something that can be put on and removed more quickly and possibly without tools.

Back