Citrus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryB

Reaction score
With summer coming up I want to get a citrus IPA in the keg. Thinking of taking my base ale recipe which is sweeter, dropping the extra dark crystal leaving:

5.5 gallon batch:

8 pounds Golden Promise(I can sub 2 row)
1.75 pounds of Victory

then

1oz Chinook at 60 minutes
1oz Chinook at 5 minutes

Stumped as far as citrus additions because I have never done them... sweet orange peel? Bitter orange peel?

Looking for the sweeter Golden Promise backbone to go with the citrus but I can switch to 2 row(I stock both in bulk).

The compounds in citrus that give fruit their distinctive aroma and flavor are the same found in hops - which is why, for example, Cascade is compared to grapefruit. In both cases, they are easily boiled off and the aroma fade over time.

The other two components that make up citrus are sugar and acid. Sweet and sour balance out the fruity esters to result in a clean crisp flavor.

lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit peel used like hops will work as they contain the oils you are seeking. Malty unfermented sugars from your grain bill will add a bit of sugar balance, but adding sugars, as you know, won't last since they get fermented. Acids to lower PH are commonly available to the homebrewer.

I know the food science and have used this in cooking, but I confess I don't have brewing experience with citrus to let you know amounts and results for beer and will leave that to others to contribute.

However, if you really want a fresh clean crisp citrus taste and aroma , keep citrus fruit slices on hand for serving. I know this is frowned upon in some circles, but in end, the only thing that counts is if you like how it tastes.

Your grist will be good. Should provide a nice clean profile for you to work with.

In my opinion you need more hops. You need more late addition, and you'll need to dry hop if you want this to be an IPA. As far as fruit peel, sweet orange and grapefruit are favorites that I have used. A pro brewer friend gave a tip to use a touch or coriander, which will bring out the citrus notes of the hops and any fruit zest you use. Also, I'd keep the chinook in the bittering spot, but replace it with Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, Eurika, Simcoe, etc.....basically a different citrusy hop for the late additions. Good luck

I don't want an over the top IPA, this comes in around 45 IBU which is plenty bitter for my taste buds. I am not a subscriber to the dump 5 pounds of hops into an IPA crowd! 45 IBU puts it i the American IPA category. And Chinook has a grapefruit flavor to me when used later as an aroma/flavor addition. That is why I was leaning sweet orange peel to balance with it...

I love Chinook. I'll be dry hopping my American Amber Ale with it on my next brew, but it's pretty subtle as a flavoring/aroma hop, great for an amber ale, but for an IPA, I'm with Shemy you'll get more citrus with citra or amarillo in a dry hop.

I love Amarillo. Nice orange note from it to me. Add it at flame out or whirlpool and you won't get the bitter you are wanting to avoid.

Back