Citrus IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elettieri

Reaction score
Hello Brew Community,

I am going to be brewing my 1st IPA. I LOVE IPA's and decided it's time.

My starting point is a a Pliny the Elder clone kit from Austin Homebrew. My goal is not to get as close the real Pliny as possible, but I thought a Pliny clone kit would be a good start, since I know how much I love that IIPA and I wanted my 1st IPA to be a hop monster.

One variation I'm doing is I want to add some lemon rind to the boil to bring out the citrus-y aspect of the IPA (*thanks Dogfish head Hellhound for the idea! Really good!).

Which brings me to my question: How much lemon rind should I use?

I'm NOT trying to create a LEMON beer. I just want to add a slight hint of citrusy-ness.

I'm thinking maybe adding the rind of one lemon the last 15 minutes of the boil. What do you think? Too much? Half a lemon be better?

Any advice from someone who has brewed with rind's would be appreciated!

The rind of one lemon should do the trick. I'd toss it in with only a couple minutes left in the boil as to not extract a harsh bitterness from it.

If you want some citrus flavors in the beer, citrus type hops such as Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra, etc. should provide more than enough citrus flavor imo

Skip the lemon rind and look into Sorachi Ace as a late supplemental hop in your recipe. It's super lemony.

I used some Sorachi in my apa, instead of all lemon, i got dill and lemon so your palate may pick things up differently, I say brew it as is, then next time make additions.

Back