Citrus hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
I have tried a few beers recently where the description on the bottle confirms that 'citrus hops' are used for a sharp fruity flavour.

I quite liked the effect in all the beers, but wouldn't know what hops to use to try and get the same flavour in a homebrew.

Can anybody give me the names of the hops likely to produce this citrus flavour? Also, is this something that would just be extracted from the hop during the boil, or do any special tecniques, like dry-hopping, have to be used to achieve this?

Cheers

I'd think Amarillo or Cascade for a citrus flavor. I don't think the flavor will carry over from a bittering length boil (50-60 min), but 15 min and under I think give the flavour.

I agree that either Amarillo or Cascade are your best choices for a citrus aroma and flavor - added in the last 15 minutes of the boil. You could also dry-hop with these for a stronger aroma.

Cheers guys, thing a citrus style, fresh bitter will be on the cards for a summer brew.

Getting a little more obscure here, but last night for the first time I tried a pale ale made with Nelson Sauvin hops. It was very citrussy - the label suggested it was reminiscent of kiwi, but that was a little more specific than my palette could detect. The beer tasted great though.

yeah esp an IPA real green citrus tasting, I know this is a sin but...Cold Fresh Citrusy IPA tastes sooo good. But regualr temp you get more of the hop characteristics. My wife snuck a couple of my Hopfish into the Fridge with her EPA's and though they weren't quite what I like thery tasted damn good cold

Centennial and Ahtanum also have strong citrus character. I've heard Soriachi Ace does, too, but I've never actually tried or smelled any (at least, not knowingly).

TL

Danek said:
Getting a little more obscure here, but last night for the first time I tried a pale ale made with Nelson Sauvin hops. It was very citrussy - the label suggested it was reminiscent of kiwi, but that was a little more specific than my palette could detect. The beer tasted great though.

I think they are a bit more of a fruity aroma than citrisy..but still good

Amarillo Cascade and Centennial are the big 3..I think they all can be floral and citrus.

Isnt Galena as well? So I have heard not sure..

Jay

Back