Citrus Fruits & Root Vegetables in a Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggs1980

Reaction score
Hello Brewers

I wonder if anyone could give advice regards the use of Limes, Oranges and Ginger in Braggots? I have watched a few videos on youtube which have given guidance as to how to bring together a basic braggot, but I would like to try and make a braggot that's something like a Mule Beer, a little bit sweet, a little bit sour and with a nice kick.

My original plan was just to make a wort using a pale malt and some citrus hops, and then I was just going to chop up a shedload of limes, oranges and ginger and just add this to my brew bucket for primary. Some other recipes I have seen have suggested making a ginger tea and adding it to the wort mix, whilst some recipes have just put the fruit in with the mead/wort mix.

Has anyone got any experience or advice regards this subject, other that I'm bonkers for experimenting from the getgo :) ?

Thanks in advance

Allen

How big a batch are you making. Small 1 maybe up to 3 gallon batches will give you a chance to try all the different ways to do what you are asking and find the one that works best for you.

I too will drive myself bonkers before doing something new. I found that once I wade in or dive headfirst I learn quicker.

I'm a two footed plunger. Was going to do a 5 gallon batch, but it seems quite a few folks recommend smaller volumes to start out.

I've looked at a few Ginger/Lime mead recipes on here and i'm starting to think it might make sense to add a ginger tea at primary and then integrate the citrus products at secondary.

Back