citrus beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umopepisdn

Reaction score
Wanted to get some thoughts and maybe pointers.

I have always followed recipes and slowly deviated away from them to create something I can somewhat call my own. I have been brewing a little over a year now and still struggle allot with how to shape a beer the way I would like to shape it in my mind's eye....or tongue, whatever you want to call it, by playing with the ingrediants. So some tips would help

I kind of threw this recipe together and am planning on trying it out this weekend for a heavy, bitter, and very citrusy beer ( always enjoyed really citrusy IPAs)

14 lbs Pilsner
2 lbs honey
2 lbs amber

60 min 1oz Citra 1 oz Centennial
20 min 0.5 Citra 0.5 Centennial
5 min 0.5 Citra 0.5 Centennial

Dry hopped 2 oz Cascade

I was also thinking on putting 2 or three fresh squeezed oranges in there.

I also have 2 small carboys I am going to split the batch up and pitch with different yeast just to see how they differ, English ale yeast and American ale yeast

thoughts or suggestions?

You need to boost those hop quantities quite a bit to get "citrusy IPA" like you want especially with that much grain. I did an all citra IPA a few months ago and was surprised how toned down the hop flavor and aroma was compared to what I thought I would get. In particular you need to increase your 20minute, 5 minute and dry hop quantities.

You need to boost those hop quantities quite a bit to get "citrusy IPA" like you want especially with that much grain. I did an all citra IPA a few months ago and was surprised how toned down the hop flavor and aroma was compared to what I thought I would get. In particular you need to increase your 20minute, 5 minute and dry hop quantities.

K, I wondered about that, I was told the citra hops were nothing to mess with, so I toned them back a bit. Thanks :mug:

I would just use the zest from the oranges. I made a citrus pale ale a while back with Centennial and Cascades. I added 5g of lemon zest(1 lemon) and 10g orange zest(2 oranges). You really couldn't pick out the lemon or orange flavor. Remade it with 15g lemon zest and you can pick out the lemon. It was nowhere near as hoppy as the beer you are planning though.

I would just use the zest from the oranges. I made a citrus pale ale a while back with Centennial and Cascades. I added 5g of lemon zest(1 lemon) and 10g orange zest(2 oranges). You really couldn't pick out the lemon or orange flavor. Remade it with 15g lemon zest and you can pick out the lemon. It was nowhere near as hoppy as the beer you are planning though.

I didn't even think about lemons :mug:

My hop schedule just to give you a rough idea of IBU's/hop flavor strength was
60m Centennial 10%
15m Cascade 5%
2m Cascade 5%

You may have to add more or less depending on how much you want the flavor to come through. I added the zest at 2m so I didn't boil off to much of the flavor.

Back