CitraNugget AIPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckabrewski

Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think. This is the first extract recipe I have put together.

5 gallon, OG ~1.075, should finish about 1.018 or so

Golden Light Liquid Extract 6 lbs, 0 oz
Amber Liquid Extract 3 lbs, 3 oz
Caramel 40 8 oz

Nugget Pellets 2 oz @60
Citra Pellets 1oz @15
Citra Pellets 1oz @ 2
Saaz 1 oz Dry

SAFALE US-05 American Ale

I highly suggest only using Extra Light or Light DME. While you can indeed create a beer with Amber LME, I believe you will have much better results with a lighter variety. I really like Muntons products because for me, it gives me better malt flavor without an overload of additional fillers and sugars. For more hop showcase, add half DME at the beginning of the boil and half at 15 minutes left in the boil.

1.018 is also kind of high to finish an IPA, which this will indeed be with 2 oz. Nugget @ 60. You could less this addition by 1/2 to 1 oz. and focus more on the 15/0/DH additions.

Not understanding the 2 minute addition. Just throw it in at flameout. But I would recommend doubling this addition for maximum aroma.

Ditch the Saaz and stay the Nugget/Citra route... or you could go Citra and Amarillo for the dry hop. Either way, you'll want to use about 3 oz. for this.

You may need 2 packs of -05 or a liquid yeast starter of 1056 or WLP001 for an OG as high as 1.075. Check "Mrmalty's yeast pitch rate calculator" in google for more info.

Looks pretty good. Nugget and Citra are some of my favorite hops in american ipas. The hop schedule for them looks pretty good. I typed your ingredients in beersmith and everything looks good there too. Just get those darn czech saaz out of an american ipa :)

since I typed it in i'll give you all your info from beersmith.
Est OG: 1.068
Est FG: 1.015
IBU's : 68.3
Color : 7.9 SRM
Est ABV: 7.0%

Awesome guys Ill be home from this deployment in a few weeks and this is first on my list. Thanks for all the inputs.

Add more citra!!!!! Increase your late addition citra by an extra ounce or two and you'll thank me later (or curse me for causing you to strain more hops at the end of the boil).

Revised

5 gallon, OG ~1.075, should finish about 1.015

Golden Light Liquid Extract 6 lbs, 0 oz
Amber Liquid Extract 3 lbs, 3 oz
Caramel 40 8 oz

Nugget Pellets 1.5 oz @60
Nugget Pellets .50 @20
Citra Pellets 1oz @15
Citra Pellets 1oz @Flame out
Citra 2 oz DH

WLP001 California Ale

I like it. I would've stuck with the us-05 for your yeast though. It's almost identical to wlp001 and wyeast 1056. but us-05 is about half the price

If you're sold on the amber extract, ditch the caramel 40. Amber extract will already contain a decent portion of crystal in it. So using both will probably give you a rather sweet and dark IPA. If using the Amber extract, add it at 15 minutes left in the boil. This will do basic two things: keep the color from getting way too dark through melanoidin formation & showcase your hops a bit more than they would be if you added all of the extract at 60 min.

For the hops, I'd double 15 and 0 and add 1 more oz. to dryhop. This will give you a bunch of needed aroma and hop flavor.

You can use 2 packets of -05. instead... BUT if you're using WLP001, you'll need to make a yeast starter with the WLP001. You can't simply pitch the vial. Use this link to determine what is needed (probably 2 liters). Most people employ intermittent shaking, which is basically swirling the glass beaker around more than a couple times each day to rouse the yeast and keep them eating.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Back