Citra Wheat - First Ever Homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLRBrewing

Reaction score
Hey! Messed around with hop and yeast additions for an American Wheat kit.

This is my first home brew and attempt at substituting ingredients, so would like some feedback. If anyone brewed with Hallertau/Citra in the past, how did it turn out in American Wheat?!

6 gallon pre boil, 5 gallon post boil

8oz Crystal 10L, 15 minutes steep at 150 F, muslin bag and removed
6 lbs, Bavarian Wheat DME, 60 min boil
.5 oz, German Hallertau, 60 min boil bittering
.5 oz, Citra, 10 min boil
.5 oz Citra, 5 min boil
1 pack WYeast 1010

Notes: 1/4 whirlock tablet at 15 min
Immersion Chiller, 20 min down to 65F
Fermentation at approx 68 degrees

sounds dangerously close to oberon or three floyd's gumball head. it's gonna be delicious.

I know it's too late now, but I don't recommend making any changes to given recipes on a first-ever brew. There's so much else to keep track of that changes throw yet another layer.
But that said, sounds good to me - what was the orginial recipe calling for?

I know it's too late now, but I don't recommend making any changes to given recipes on a first-ever brew. There's so much else to keep track of that changes throw yet another layer.
But that said, sounds good to me - what was the orginial recipe calling for?
Original recipe called for only Willamette hops, 60 min. Also a slightly less clean yeast, but I opted for the 1010 to avoid any chance of the banana you find in some wheat/hefe and increase the chances of the Citra shining through.

And I should say I'm not green to the brewing process (minor brewhouse experience), just never did it at home. Felt comfortable enough to experiment but totally agree that first batches should be kept simple! Only time will tell if I bit off more than I can chew :)

Back