Citra Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me, I'd ditch the crystal and carapils and just go 100% 2-row or maris otter. Either way, it's really hard to go wrong with a basic grain bill, chico yeast, and copious C-hops. I'd say that with these building blocks you'd have to be trying pretty hard to screw up to not get a good beer out of it.

What I'm really looking for is a grapefruity pale ale or IPA. I'm assuming Citra is the way to go...or is there a better way?

I just tapped the keg on my 3rd batch based on Northern Brewer's Kama Citra IPA recipe. It is similar to the recipe you posted. Looks like Kama Citra has more hops. My neighbor tried it and commented on it having grapefruit in it. There is no actual grapefruit in the recipe, it is the citra hops.

I've made a Citra Pale Ale several times with a similar recipe. I prefer a lighter body and would mash at 150*F, higher temps leave medium to full body which leaves a little sweeter taste and would not be appropriate for this beer IMO. Citra will give a grapefruit taste, combined with either Cascade or Simcoe and the WLP001 yeast will definitely be citrusy. I just got a Kama Citra kit from NB and will put it up against my own recipe. Cheers!

Back