American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATC1TY

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 67
Tasting Notes
Taste very close to Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, perfectly balanced!
Here's a really close clone of the Citra Pale Ale from Oddsides, in Grand Haven, Michigan. Very close to what I remember it tasting like.

It's a fantastically, easy drinking, ultra flavorful Pale Ale. These guys make one of the best Pale's I've ever had, and the Brewer, and the Brewery are TOP NOTCH. The Headbrewer gave me some "direction" in designing/guessing the recipe, and it helped me greatly. I believe this one is very close to the original, and if anything makes a fantastic, easy drinking beer that is good to the last drop!

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 21.3 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 15.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
1.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Flameout 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Other 13 -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

NOTE: The recipe has been altered since version 1. The FWH/60 min addition is deleted for the raised 15/10min addition for more flavor, and the same amount of IBU's this beer should be.

Another NOTE: I was informed by someone who has talked to Oddsides about this recipe, and said it's really close. Drop the C60 totally, and use all C40 instead. 60/10/0/dryhop is the hop schedule, it's scaled down to our 5 gallon batches, it's just shy of 3 oz total for ALL of those additions. I would assume that we would need more on our smaller scales to get the amplified flavor as we don't get the efficiency they do in a larger brew house. However, feel free to try that, and work out the hops to 41 IBU's roughly. As is stands the recipe written is very close, and extremely flavorful, but one could try to use whats been quoted as from Chris himself, and see how it works at home.

Ferment it out cool, around 66-67*F.

It's a great tasting, balanced, and fruity Pale Ale. If you hate Citra, you are in the wrong place. The wheat is what gives this beer the slightly creamier, heavier mouthfeel that makes you love it. The lacing and head on the beer are perfect. So refreshing!

5179A669-8DDB-48E1-A937-54059FCF16CC-2261-000003D7790963AD.jpg

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

Well, I added them about after flameout, and once I turned on the chiller. I then chilled for maybe... 15-20 minutes while I clean up, and it got down to around 65-70*. I then whirlpool the kettle, but pull the hop spider when I do that unless I free float the hops if they are leaf, and leave it be for about 10.. Then I transfer.

So maybe 20 minutes or so if pellets, the full 30 if it's leaf..

well then i might say i dont really know what to do other than let the wort site there to achieve this.. i dont whirlpool i do use a hop spyder and a plate chiller/pump... but my ground water is so cold i can have a 5 gal batch chilled to 60 in about ten minutes so it doesnt really seem like it would be worth it. input?

Educate me. Why would you add two different crystal malts?

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %

This looks delicious :)

Looks good. What is the OG and so I'm clear, that is 2 ounces at flame out?

I'm guessing 2 crystal for color

Bingo.

Needed a little more color, so added the darker crystal. It also adds a slightly different sweetness to the beer, more complexity with different crystals in there. I thought it worked well.

OG target is 1.058. You want to mash somewhat higher than you would think, as you don't want to dry the beer out too bad. Shoot for 5.8-6.0% ABV, as the original is.

well then i might say i dont really know what to do other than let the wort site there to achieve this.. i dont whirlpool i do use a hop spyder and a plate chiller/pump... but my ground water is so cold i can have a 5 gal batch chilled to 60 in about ten minutes so it doesnt really seem like it would be worth it. input?

Just toss em in there when you turn the flame out. And leave them while you chill and clean up. No need to rush. Once you rack from kettle, thats it. No real science to it.

new to the forum and new to brewing! Cheers everyone!

Anyway to get a partial mash recipe for this? My set up isnt " all grain " yet but love citra and this recipe looks REAL GOOD

:mug:

MoeIPA said:
new to the forum and new to brewing! Cheers everyone!

Anyway to get a partial mash recipe for this? My set up isnt " all grain " yet but love citra and this recipe looks REAL GOOD

:mug:

1lb grain = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME

So substitute the 11 lbs of grain for say an amount of LME (or DME) you can purchase locally like a 6 lb bag and make the remainder base malt like 2-row.

So you would substitute 6 lbs of liquid for 8 lbs of 2-row. That would leave 3 lbs of 2-row to be mashed with the rest of your grain. Does that help?

1lb grain = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME

So substitute the 11 lbs of grain for say an amount of LME (or DME) you can purchase locally like a 6 lb bag and make the remainder base malt like 2-row.

So you would substitute 6 lbs of liquid for 8 lbs of 2-row. That would leave 3 lbs of 2-row to be mashed with the rest of your grain. Does that help?

That what I would suggest.

I would do the liquid, save some of the 2 row, to mash with the wheat and the crystal.

By the way, the this beer turned out fantastic as is. However, I personally, would like a bit more punch in the mouth, so I'm thinking the 10 and 5 minute additions, I would probably do an additional .5 in each to bring it up to 1oz each time. I love the taste of it, even being stuffed up lately, I killed a growler of it last night!

I'd have to tinker with the numbers to get back to the specified 40-45 IBU's for the beer though.. Will post my next results.

FATC1TY said:
By the way, the this beer turned out fantastic as is. However, I personally, would like a bit more punch in the mouth, so I'm thinking the 10 and 5 minute additions, I would probably do an additional .5 in each to bring it up to 1oz each time. I love the taste of it, even being stuffed up lately, I killed a growler of it last night!

I'd have to tinker with the numbers to get back to the specified 40-45 IBU's for the beer though.. Will post my next results.

I'm going to do a small batch of this one. I did an all Citra pale ale (slightly different recipe) and I loved it. I find that I really like Citra in a session beer as well because I brings in so much flavor.

I also did a Citra pale ale and added some Willamette towards the end and it tastes great with a hop that has a little spicy flavor. You just have to go easy on the Citra or it will overtake everything else. So Fuggles may work as well.

anyone ever add some pineapple or other " Citra hop characteristic " type fruit to the secondary? I'm a beginner and just tossing some ideas out there if it would even work..

anyone ever add some pineapple or other " Citra hop characteristic " type fruit to the secondary? I'm a beginner and just tossing some ideas out there if it would even work..

I'm sure someone's tried it. I'd give you this advice as a beginner, though: Start simple. Brew a bunch of batches before you even start thinking of fruit or wood or liquor or herbs or whatever else those crazy kids are using nowadays :D

Just wanted to update that this beer has aged great. The keg is about gone. Been busy lately and less drinking than normal. I can't wait to finish my move and fire the kettle up for another batch of this. Will be SO GOOD in the spring.

I have made this 4 times; this is a recipe I got from my local store and is the only beer I have made more then once. The only difference in the two is the hop schedule. This is actually clasified as a IPA with the high IBU and dry finishing American Yeast. Oh yeah, I use red wheat also.

I dry hop in the fermenter at two weeks. I put the hops in a sanitized white mesh bag weighted down with a butter knife and just throw it in for seven days and then bottle.

I have made this 4 times; this is a recipe I got from my local store and is the only beer I have made more then once. The only difference in the two is the hop schedule. This is actually clasified as a IPA with the high IBU and dry finishing American Yeast. Oh yeah, I use red wheat also.

I dry hop in the fermenter at two weeks. I put the hops in a sanitized white mesh bag weighted down with a butter knife and just throw it in for seven days and then bottle.

I'm lost...??

This beer isn't an IPA. It's only 40 IBU's per the info from the brewery and the description. It doesn't have a very dry finish at it's around 11-12 points when it's finished as well.

I think you are confusing something there.

Listed below is the 14B AmericanIPA off the BJCP website I just listed ingrediants and style. You may go and look at the rest if you want. The statistics also match the American Pale Ale 10A. Although I would like to disagree with the IBU's you listed. Citra is a very high alpha hop; the bag i just pulled out of my fridge is 15.6%. I only use 1 1/2oz citra at the 60 min boil and I am way over the pale ale guidelines (I use a total of 3oz during the whole boil. Coupled with US 05 and American grains I would definetly call this a American IPA.

None the less, this beer is awesome!
:)

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate. Versions with a noticeable Rye character (“RyePA”) should be entered in the Specialty category.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.056 – 1.075

IBUs: 40 – 70

FG: 1.010 – 1.018

SRM: 6 – 15

ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

I appreciate your posts on the guidelines, but I think you are mistaken here.

This is a recipe I put together from scratch, to try and clone a beer I had in Michigan on a trip. I made this recipe myself in Beersmith, and put it all together.

My stuff is all calculated to the AA% of the hops I used. So my calculated IBU's are correct. The brewer gave me the infomation that the beer is 40 IBU's that they make, and gave me the gravity they started at, as well as the ABV. This beer is no where near a bitter IPA. It's firmly planted in the Pale Ale category as far as taste. I was able to figure the grain and mash schedule, and the hop schedule was a guess. There is no other clone online for this beer, hence the reason I shared it, so others who have had it, and made it even, can add and we can perhaps nail something even closer. This recipe is extremely close, so I'm pretty happy with my first try.

I've you've brewed this recipe 4 times already, I'm impress that you've brewed it every single weekend since I posted it, considering it hasn't been up for a month yet.. I'm quite flattered, and you must have a ton of Citra on hand. I didn't copy this recipe from anywhere, there are simply no other posts about an Oddsides CPA clone. Ask a few guys here, because I've been in touch with atleast one guy here about it. So I'm not sure what recipe you are talking about at your local store, because this isn't it.

Past that, I don't quite get what you point is in this recipe thread? It's about this recipe, and people brewing the one posted, and sharing what they have from making it, or making it better or their own. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply not understanding what this is adding the recipe discussion, since you are probably talking about something completely different..

Yea completly lost here i jus stopped at the winchester and had 3 of em.. no way i hell is the original a pale and his clone recipe is pretty dead on to the original.. worst case u add extra ounce and get 50ish ibus and u still have a strong pale.. but by no means anything close to ipa..

Oh and cuz i dont ever get there til late as hell and its ***** black i havent gotten a pic yet for u to compare srm.. but sunday is a double batch brew day for me so while i mash in my first beer i will go have a pint (cuz its for research) and get a pic in daylight!

Yea completly lost here i jus stopped at the winchester and had 3 of em.. no way i hell is the original a pale and his clone recipe is pretty dead on to the original.. worst case u add extra ounce and get 50ish ibus and u still have a strong pale.. but by no means anything close to ipa..

Oh and cuz i dont ever get there til late as hell and its ***** black i havent gotten a pic yet for u to compare srm.. but sunday is a double batch brew day for me so while i mash in my first beer i will go have a pint (cuz its for research) and get a pic in daylight!

Research my friend, it's for the children!! ( or children at heart... ) ;)

I'm planning on brewing this again in a couple of weeks when I get settled in at the new digs. I'm thinking about upping the 5 and 1 min additions. Shouldn't be enough to raise the IBU's past where they are in the original.

Oh, and I will update with a pic. This beer has cleared so well, it's like you don't even know their flaked wheat in the beer until you get a taste of it!

Must be a eastern and southern thing. But crap, California does the same thing with Sierra Nevada pale ale. More bitter then Alaskan IPA; at least to my taste buds. A beer does not need to be a hop bomb to be a IPA. What do I know?? I only have a microbrew every other block here in the Great North West! Peace. Out!!!

Must be a eastern and southern thing. But crap, California does the same thing with Sierra Nevada pale ale. More bitter then Alaskan IPA; at least to my taste buds. A beer does not need to be a hop bomb to be a IPA. What do I know?? I only have a microbrew every other block here in the Great North West! Peace. Out!!!

Yes IPA's can be 80 ibu and have perfectly balanced body so you dont even notice the hops.. but seriously if ur just gunna keep arguing find something better to do with your time (go clean your equipment) talking like "what do i know" seriously... dude i live in GRAND RAPIDS we have finished in to top 10 for beer city usa for last 5 years and won it last year... were hosting AHA conference in 2014 and ranked 22nd best city in the world for beer... the worlds 2nd best beer bar (HOPCAT) is less than a mile from my door.. i have a brewery 525ft from my front door... within a mile of my home there are 5 breweries (including FOUNDERS) within 15 miles we have 12 more to add.. but you dont see me raging on about knowing this and that (til now cuz u pissed me off)

A beer must certainly be a hop bomb to be an IPA. Thats the point of an IPA. A slightly more bitter pale, more flavor and aroma, essentially a hop bomb.

There is west coast style and east coast. One is unbalanced and more hops, and the other is balanced with more malty sweetness.

But this isn't an IPA, so again.. Whats your point? Have you brewed my clone recipe here? It's a wonderful beer. You can call it an IPA to all your friends and trick them.

Yes IPA's can be 80 ibu and have perfectly balanced body so you dont even notice the hops.. but seriously if ur just gunna keep arguing find something better to do with your time (go clean your equipment) talking like "what do i know" seriously... dude i live in GRAND RAPIDS we have finished in to top 10 for beer city usa for last 5 years and won it last year... were hosting AHA conference in 2014 and ranked 22nd best city in the world for beer... the worlds 2nd best beer bar (HOPCAT) is less than a mile from my door.. i have a brewery 525ft from my front door... within a mile of my home there are 5 breweries (including FOUNDERS) within 15 miles we have 12 more to add.. but you dont see me raging on about knowing this and that (til now cuz u pissed me off)

MMmm.. HopCats. I really enjoyed that place for dinner when I was up there for business. Thats where I had the glorious Oddsides Citra Pale, and was served by a really cute chick there too.

Location means nothing. There's plenty of ****ty brewers in the top 10 brewing cities, and plenty of amazing brewers in the bottom 10 brewing cities. Location has absolutely nothing to do with skill. The fact that you live in Grand Rapids is pure coincidence to the fact that it's a top brewing city... unless you moved there out of jealousy of famous brewers, in which case you likely have a problem.

OP, this recipe sounds remarkably like Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, though a little ramped up. I'm looking to order hops for now until the fall harvest and I'm pretty interested in your recipe. How would you say it compares to Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, or if you haven't tried it, where can I send a bottle for your opinion?

A beer must certainly be a hop bomb to be an IPA. Thats the point of an IPA. A slightly more bitter pale, more flavor and aroma, essentially a hop bomb.

There is west coast style and east coast. One is unbalanced and more hops, and the other is balanced with more malty sweetness.

But this isn't an IPA, so again.. Whats your point? Have you brewed my clone recipe here? It's a wonderful beer. You can call it an IPA to all your friends and trick them.

Does it necessarily have to be a "hop bomb"? I feel like early IPAs weren't necessarily so, as long as they were able to withstand the voyage to India. Though this does bring up an interesting historical point, of which I'd love to hear if the knowledge is out there.

OP, this recipe sounds remarkably like Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, though a little ramped up. I'm looking to order hops for now until the fall harvest and I'm pretty interested in your recipe. How would you say it compares to Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, or if you haven't tried it, where can I send a bottle for your opinion?

I have never had Knee Deep's Citra PA.. I swear I've heard of it though.

This beer has a nice malty backbone to it, very clean profile, with a medium to light body. The bitterness really stays back upon the first sip and then comes out to clean the taste up from being too cloying. The Citra is in the nose, and in the taste the whole way down, and the aftertaste is very clean and citrusy. A nice easy drinking beer at 5.8%.

Does it necessarily have to be a "hop bomb"? I feel like early IPAs weren't necessarily so, as long as they were able to withstand the voyage to India. Though this does bring up an interesting historical point, of which I'd love to hear if the knowledge is out there.

Historical IPA and "Todays" IPA are probably not close, I agree.

Today's IPA's are all pretty much just overloaded with hops. Some brewhouses do it different, but for the most part, it's what most craft drinkers what, so they by nature have to make what the masses demand. It's a trend right now, I think. I love very hoppy beers, but I also at times have found that I have a lupulin shift, and nothing is bitter or hoppy enough for me. So I have to back off for a while and go at it again.

It's really just a regional/brewery preference/ what people like right now/ type of thing. Bigger beers, hops out the top of the bottle beers.. Barrel aged.. It's all just trends that come and go.

I have never had Knee Deep's Citra PA.. I swear I've heard of it though.

This beer has a nice malty backbone to it, very clean profile, with a medium to light body. The bitterness really stays back upon the first sip and then comes out to clean the taste up from being too cloying. The Citra is in the nose, and in the taste the whole way down, and the aftertaste is very clean and citrusy. A nice easy drinking beer at 5.8%.

Awesome description. Would you say it has a strong characteristic grapefruit "bite" at the tip of the tongue I'd expect with Citra, or is it a big mellower than that?

Awesome description. Would you say it has a strong characteristic grapefruit "bite" at the tip of the tongue I'd expect with Citra, or is it a big mellower than that?

I would actually say the wheat grist, with the layered crystal tosses off the shaper lychee fruit- grapefruit bite back a bit. It's much mellowed, a very smooth Citra flavor. I think it highlights the aroma, and the flavor of Citra very well, without being so wildly hoppy and intense, yet still has the intense flavor of Citra that everyone so much loves.

Back