Citra hops in extract IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
I'm brewing a extract IPA tomorrow. I have 3 oz. of citra and 2 oz. of Amarillo and 1 oz. of magnum for bittering. My question is at what times should I add the Citra and Amarrillo? Also, I have some Crystal 60 L. That I would like to steep. How much should I use? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Maybe do magnum at fwh, 1 oz citra 10 min, 1 oz each whirlpool/hopstand, 1 oz each dry hop.

In case you don't know what a whirlpool/hopstand is, when you turn the heat off in your pot, add the whirlpool/hopstand hops, and stir the wort in a whirlpool motion for a while (I do about a half hour) and then proceed to cool / top up as you normally would when you're done this. If your arm gets tired, don't have to do it the whole time, just stir it around a couple times a minute. You'll get a buncha great flavor out of them this way. And for FWH you can just toss the magnum in at the beginning of your boil if you want.

Citra is a VERY strong flavor/aroma hop (strong bittering too) and will dominate the Amarillo, IMO. I would do something like this:

1oz Magnum 60min
1/2oz Citra 15min
1/2oz Citra 5min
1oz Citra Flameout
1oz Citra Dryhop
2oz Amarillo Dryhop

Personally, I'd try to get a hold of a little more Amarillo and sprinkle some more in along with the Citra during the boil. I use Citra often, it's my house single hopped pale ale. And if you add equal parts Citra with pretty much any other hop, it will dominate the flavor. I like to use it at an amount about 50% of the other hop/hops used, especially for late additions and dry hopping.

Thank you both for your suggestions! Any ideas on how much Crystal I should steep? I was thinking 8 oz. more or less?

For an IPA... I'd use somewhere around 5-10% of the grain bill. If a small/medium IPA 5% would work. If a bigger IPA, closer to 10% would be appropriate, IMO.

Thank you all. This is my ninth batch but first IPA. Never used this amount of hops in a beer before. Your input has been helpful!

if it's a 5 gallon batch i say use 8 oz of the crystal, and grab yourself another 8 oz of carapils for body/head retention. Don't forget to crush :)

if it's a 5 gallon batch i say use 8 oz of the crystal, and grab yourself another 8 oz of carapils for body/head retention. Don't forget to crush :)

No need for carapils when using a good bit of hops. They will create all the head retention you need.

Back