Citra and Galaxy hops, has anyone brewed with both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with both of these hops, i have Galaxy and love it. I was thinking about ordering some citra, is the flavour aroma similar, is there a huge difference between the two?

Sorry for the noob question

I have, I am carbing it now. I did 4oz cascade at 60, 1oz citra/1oz galaxy at 15, same at 5, same at flame out. Will let you know how it taste next week. A buddy I returning from afghanastan and I am bringing a keg to his welcome home party.

I have, I am carbing it now. I did 4oz cascade at 60, 1oz citra/1oz galaxy at 15, same at 5, same at flame out. Will let you know how it taste next week. A buddy I returning from afghanastan and I am bringing a keg to his welcome home party.

Nice, what did you think of the hop aroma of the pellets, were they a like
smell wise??

My galaxy were a tad old, but I got more of an earthy smell from them. Almost like a noble hop. They where given to me from someone and I have no idea how they keep them.

To me Citra comes off more on the grapefruit end of the scale. Galaxy is definitely more tropical citrus, like passion fruit/pineapple.

I brewed an all citra summer wheat that is really, really good. I am currently fermenting the same recipe, all galaxy to compare. I will say the citra seemed to be considerably stronger in the aroma department than the galaxy when measuring out the pellets at brewing.

No need to mix them both. They're quite similar give or take a few minor things, though I prefer Citra. It's melony, sweet, juicy, and tropical - lychee fruit would be the most accurate. You can smell the dryhops in the carboy from 5 feet away. This is partly due to the higher myrcene content from Citra (63%) vs. Galaxy (37%). Though both have the same "total" oil content; therefore Galaxy has more of those grassy Noble characteristics to balance things out.

I think good compliments for each of the hops you referenced would be better served by Amarillo, which would add a nice fruity and floral grapefruit character.

The last CDA I did, I used Amarillo (awesome) as my dry hop. This time around I'm using Galaxy, so I guess I'll have to let you know how it turns out in about a week. As for Citra, I think one or the other would be fine since Galaxy seems to be pretty similar.

No need to mix them both. They're quite similar give or take a few minor things, though I prefer Citra. It's melony, sweet, juicy, and tropical - lychee fruit would be the most accurate. You can smell the dryhops in the carboy from 5 feet away. This is partly due to the higher myrcene content from Citra (63%) vs. Galaxy (37%). Though both have the same "total" oil content; therefore Galaxy has more of those grassy Noble characteristics to balance things out.

I think good compliments for each of the hops you referenced would be better served by Amarillo, which would add a nice fruity and floral grapefruit character.

This +1

I have used both. Both are good, but I like Galaxy better. If you use Galaxy, only use it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. It is a bit harsh as a bittering hop, and you won't experience the great flavour and aroma of the late additions if you also bitter with it. So, either go all late additions (no bittering addition), or use something else for bittering (I have used POR in small quantities).

I have used both. Both are good, but I like Galaxy better. If you use Galaxy, only use it in the last 10 minutes of the boil. It is a bit harsh as a bittering hop, and you won't experience the great flavour and aroma of the late additions if you also bitter with it. So, either go all late additions (no bittering addition), or use something else for bittering (I have used POR in small quantities).

A number of breweries make highly rate single-hop galaxy beers. I've got an attempted clone of Anchorage Galaxy White IPA aging now. With high alpha fruity hops, I prefer first wort hopping over the traditional early boil additions.

Latest posts

Back