American Wheat Beer Citra American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiet_dissent

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 320
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Light fruit and citrus upfront, clean with a slight sweetness.
Sharing my first recipe. Fairly simple but pretty tasty. Used BIAB method.

Grain bill:

5# American White Wheat
5# American Two Row
1# Crystal 10L

Hops:

1 oz. Cascade at 45 minutes (7.1 AA)
1 oz. Citra at 0 minutes
1 oz. Citra dry hop (7 days)

Mashed around 152 F for 60 minutes. Used my "ghetto" method for sparging with BIAB; used a fermentation bucket to resoak/mash grains after 60 minutes with 160 - 165 F water for 15 minutes. This is also functions, in part, as a mash out. Seems to work for me and has helped with my efficiency (it was hovering around 60% but now I am close to 70%).

Primary fermentation temperature was between 66 and 68 F. Maintained temperature for dry hopping phase.

WLP320 is great as long as you keep the fermentation temperature in check. As with other wheat beer yeasts, higher temperatures produce more ester notes. Keep this one under 70 F to produce a beer with softer fruit (e.g., less banana).

This has a slightly fruity nose that is enhanced by the Citra hops. Nice, snappy citrus note upfront. This was an attempt to mimic the use of citrus in wheat beers without using actual citrus. Slightly sweet but balanced. Mission accomplished! :ban:

Kegged at 12 psi. Produces meringue-like white head. Classic cloudy appearance. Pic below is taken on our sideboard, lined up with boozy goodness.

For the future, I might cut back a touch on the Crystal. Otherwise, easy spring or summer beer.

Citra hefe.jpg

Back