Citra/Amarillo ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumpyAZ

Reaction score
I'm planning to use citra and Amarillo for the whirlpool and dryhop in an IPA recipe. While I have enjoyed beers with this hop combo, I have not brewed one yet. Planned to split the hop bill 50/50. Does this sound good or anyone got other suggestions for the ratio?

I'm planning to use citra and Amarillo for the whirlpool and dryhop in an IPA recipe. While I have enjoyed beers with this hop combo, I have not brewed one yet. Planned to split the hop bill 50/50. Does this sound good or anyone got other suggestions for the ratio?

I think your ratio is good.

Based on research and checking a few recipes I've found, I am brewing a Pale Ale next weekend using the following:

0.5oz Magnum @ 60
0.5oz Amarillo @ 15
0.5oz Citra @ 5
0.5oz Amarillo @ Flame Out
0.5oz Citra @ Flame Out
2oz Amarillo Dry Hop 5 Days
2oz Citra Dry Hop 5 Days

My last beer was this combo. I used Amarillo for bittering and late additions (10 and whirlpool) and then dry hopped with the Citra. If you want one or the other to stand out, don't do it this way. If you want them to be balanced then this worked out great for me.

It ultimately comes down to personal taste. I would personally go heavier on the Citra.

If you haven't figured out your bittering hop I recommend a fwh of ctz (if 5 gallon I'd say .75-1oz) and no 60 minute addition. Then load up on Citra and Amarillo at 5 minute, whirlpool/ steep)

Most IPA homebrew recipes I see people are wayyyy too stingy with late hop additions. Bittering charge and a ridiculous amount of late hop additions will net great results. Smell across the room hoppy ipa's are not cheap to brew and take some skill/ equipment to achieve. If you aren't already kegging your fighting an up hill battle.

Ps.....water Chem is a huge contributing factor as is proper temp control. Short story long ipa'a aren't easy to brew.

Yeah I've usually keep it 50/50. I'm not sure if other ratios would give a better outcome, but mine tasted great.

Thanks for the replies! I plan to bitter with Columbus in the boil, then citra/Amarillo post. Might favor the citra slightly since I know I love it in single hop beers.

Doctor_M, thanks for the tips. This will be my first time kegging and I plan to setup an O2 free transfer system.

I make an IPA with a 50/50 mix. 6oz of late boil additions and a 4oz dry hop. I buy all my hops by the lb though.

Back