Citra Amarillo Motueka Ratio for Neipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nozomu

Reaction score
Thinking of doing a neipa with Citra, Amairllo and Motueka, can anyone give me some idea of what sort of ratio i should go with? Cheers

I am not a NEIPA brewer, so can't really help you with direct experience. You want to add pretty much all of them at flameout and whirlpool, which you probably already know LOL. The Motueka will probably give you the most tropical aromas and flavors of those three, so maybe go a little heavier on it.

Depends what you’re going for and how good the hops you have are.

Personally I’d go
50% Citra
30% Motueka
20% Amarillo

I’d go heavier on Motueka/Amarillo on the hotside and heavier on Citra in the DH.

I am not a NEIPA brewer, so can't really help you with direct experience. You want to add pretty much all of them at flameout and whirlpool, which you probably already know LOL. The Motueka will probably give you the most tropical aromas and flavors of those three, so maybe go a little heavier on it.

Lol yeah, i whirlpool so most of the hops will go in then. You dont think citra is tropical?

Depends what you’re going for and how good the hops you have are.

Personally I’d go
50% Citra
30% Motueka
20% Amarillo

I’d go heavier on Motueka/Amarillo on the hotside and heavier on Citra in the DH.

Well considering im from australia i think the new zeland hops would be better than the stuff that comes all the way from america, cant be sure yet though.

can you give me sperate ratios for hot side and cold side then? and why not use much citra hot side anyway? I'd only be doing a Fwh a small 10 min addition and then throwing most of the hot side hops in at whirlpool.

Lol yeah, i whirlpool so most of the hops will go in then. You dont think citra is tropical?

Well considering im from australia i think the new zeland hops would be better than the stuff that comes all the way from america, cant be sure yet though.

can you give me sperate ratios for hot side and cold side then? and why not use much citra hot side anyway? I'd only be doing a Fwh a small 10 min addition and then throwing most of the hot side hops in at whirlpool.

Yeah the Motueka is prolly in better shape than the Citra and Amarillo if you’re down under. I’ve heard on more than one occasion from very respected hoppy beer brewers that they don’t like Citra in the WP as much. I’m not 100% sure why but I’ve also heard those same brewers say they like to use Citra in the boil. They’ve all said the profile ends up being more tropical. I haven’t really dig into why but I respect and trust the people who have said this.

I would use the Citra at 10. WP would be mostly motueka/Amarillo with some Citra. Then mostly Citra with supporting Motueka and Amarillo, depending on how you think they smell. Motueka is an odd hop. I think as a filler or supporting hop it’s great. Similar with Amarillo although I don’t think I’ve ever experienced even half way decent Amarillo as a homebrewer.

I think these two hops will bring out the more citrusy aspects of Citra. The lemon line profile. Again it sorts of depends on the quality of the hops unfortunately. They can be so across the board.

Not to my palate - its citrus with some resin and floral, but mostly citrus. Which is why I think they named it citra.

Yeah, i see what you're saying. What would you say is a tropical hop with stand alone qualities? I don't think I'd use Motueka in a single hop ipa(maybe in a style with a more restrained hop character), and same with Amarillo really.

Yeah the Motueka is prolly in better shape than the Citra and Amarillo if you’re down under. I’ve heard on more than one occasion from very respected hoppy beer brewers that they don’t like Citra in the WP as much. I’m not 100% sure why but I’ve also heard those same brewers say they like to use Citra in the boil. They’ve all said the profile ends up being more tropical. I haven’t really dig into why but I respect and trust the people who have said this.

I would use the Citra at 10. WP would be mostly motueka/Amarillo with some Citra. Then mostly Citra with supporting Motueka and Amarillo, depending on how you think they smell. Motueka is an odd hop. I think as a filler or supporting hop it’s great. Similar with Amarillo although I don’t think I’ve ever experienced even half way decent Amarillo as a homebrewer.

I think these two hops will bring out the more citrusy aspects of Citra. The lemon line profile. Again it sorts of depends on the quality of the hops unfortunately. They can be so across the board.

I mean i've heard similar things regarding galaxy, as it is meant to be a bit harsh when used hotside. I've had spectacular single hop beers with citra though, which i cant say say the same about galaxy. So i'm not so sure about that one. Not that they were homebrew though I guess, their hop quality would be on a different level.

Yeah i was probably more thinking of using the Motueka and Amarillo as supporting hops anyway. Yeah i recently had no sleep means iinsomnia by monkish brewing, that was just citra and motueka. Phenomenal beer from a phenomenal brewery, but it tasted like they used more motueka, definitely more of a filler hop. A nice one though. Maybe i should drop the amarillo then? if you cant get good amarillo over there, theres no way we'd get it down here.

Planning on making something similar, but I was going to use 1/2 oz Magnum to bitter and then whirlpool Motueka, Amarillo and Citra. I only have 1 oz of Amarillo and 2 oz of Motueka, but a ton of Citra. The Magnum will get me a little over 32IBU and I'm looking for a huge hit in flavor and aroma from the other 3, but I don't need more bitterness. Should I just skip Magnum and bitter with Citra?

I went to a presentation on dry hop creep last year. The brewer said not to dry hop with motueka as it is particularly bad for DHC - in his opinion.

Ok. My base recipe for this one was brewed about 6 weeks ago and I hopped with Mandarina Bavaria and Hull Melon. I called it a German-American pale ale. Ended up being about 7% and near 50 IBU. It came out dry and is a little more bitter than I wanted, so thinking of cutting back the bitterness in case I hit a FG of 1.001 again. I never had California Ale yeast work this far down. It is a tasty brew with lots of thick foam. Bottle conditioned and this pic was at day 10 after bottling.

Attachments

• beer glass.jpg
    beer glass.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 26
  • beer cap.jpg
    beer cap.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 25
Copying my post from the Northeast Style IPA thread, seems relevant here. I brewed a Citra/Motueka NEIPA and went very heavy on the Motueka. Very unique taste and I really like it overall. I think some Amarillo would work really well in the mix. If you go equal parts, or heavier on the Citra, then the Citra might dominate (not necessarily a bad thing). It really depends on what you want out of it, no wrong answers.

20200709_154010.jpg

This is my favorite NEIPA I've made in a while. Aroma is mango, guava, lime, pineapple, floral. Flavor is more of the same plus some peach. The thing I like about this beer the most is the flavor is very full and saturated, but the beer comes across very balanced and light.

14 lb 2 row
3 lb flaked oats
0.75 lb wheat
0.25 lb honey malt

0.5 oz Warrior (19 IBU)
1 oz Citra whirlpool (4 IBU)
2 oz Motueka whirlpool (4 IBU)
3 oz Citra dry hop
6 oz Motueka dry hop

Imperial Barbarian gen 3

O.G. = 1.063
F.G. = 1.010