Cinnfully delicious cinnamon apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileyak87

Reaction score
Just bottled this last night. Went from 1.06 - 1.00 after total of 4 weeks in primary. I added the cinnamon stocks after week 2. Did a 2 gallon test batch to make sure I would like it and ended up with a 20oz soda bottle and 18 beer bottles worth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1392410735211.jpg

Have to be careful with cinnamon as I made my own extract and ruined 18 litres as it was overwhelming...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just did one too.

5G costco juice, 1kg brown sugar. Nottingham yeast. 2 week primary. 2 month secondary. *remember to use nutrient to stop sulphur smell*

Took a cider that was 'ruined' with sulphur dioxide stink smell. Bubbled off with co2 until it was drinkable. Then I added 2 10" cinnamon sticks that were microwaved to kill any pathogens. Let sit in secondary for 2.5 weeks until desired taste. And force carbed. Delicious

2 gallons apple juice. 1 cup brown sugar, 5 cinnamon sticks. 1tea spoon nutrient and us-05.

It tastes really good. Strong cinnamon flavor but not an overly cinnamon taste. Reminds me of warm cider as a kid

The Angry Orchard Cinnful Cider does not use natural cinnamon, it uses cinnamon flavoring oil/extract. The next time you take a sip of Cinnful cider, think of red hot cinnamon candy, and the flavor will become obvious. I recently purchased a sampler 12 pack of Angry Orchard Cider, and the cinnamon flavor to me was obvious right away.
The best way to add cinnamon flavor to any liquid beverage IMHO, is to put a small amount of ground cinnamon into a coffee filter, and pour a neutral spirit over/through it. The coffee filter and the small amount of liquid used will not create cinnamon snot balls like some cinnamon sticks will. BE CAREFUL, a little home made cinnamon extract will go a very long way! I know this, as I too once ruined a batch of home made cider with what seemed like an insignificant amount of my extract.

I just bottled my 2 gallon batch into seven 1L bottles. I put a half stick of cinnamon into one of them just to see if it would make a difference.
I plan to drink and share a few of these around Thanksgiving, so they will have about 7 weeks to age. Looking forward to trying the cinnamon bottle.
Doug

A lot of cinnamon issues arise from not knowing how fresh the cinnamon actually is. I thought I had cinnamon stick additions nailed until I got into some very potent fresh sticks. I'm still turned off from cinnamon except in pies now. Just be careful, better to be under than over dosed.

I used 4, possibly 5 cinn sticks (approx 3" long?) in a 5 gallon cyser (cider's cousin ;) ) ....they sat in secondary for at least several weeks, gave it a nice "earthy" "woody" mellow cinnamon undertone, not upfront in-your-face red-hots flavor. Dunno how fresh they were, but far from the expiration date on the bottle.....would do it again

When do you guys add the cinnamon sticks/extract?

Do you throw it in during bottling fermentation or part way through fermentation

Hey Bill, I was just going through this forum looking for cider recipes when I noticed your picture- that is my dog! I had no idea that pic was loose on the interwebs but yeah, that is Curly, a 5 year old malty-poo who knows how to party. Do you remember where you came across this pic?

I boiled powdered Cinnamon for an hour in some cider then added it my two Gallon side batch of hard cider. I then bottled it up and was amazed at how good it is. The only downside is it has not carbonated as much as I was hoping. It is almost still. Other batch of Cider is nicely carbonated.

I boiled powdered Cinnamon for an hour in some cider then added it my two Gallon side batch of hard cider. I then bottled it up and was amazed at how good it is. The only downside is it has not carbonated as much as I was hoping. It is almost still. Other batch of Cider is nicely carbonated.

How much cinnamon did you use and what us your batch size?

Mine I just add the cinnamon sticks after primary fermentation ends and let them sit with the cider for 2 weeks

Back