Cigars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now i really want to have a pipe. dang.

is there a good internet site to grab some pipe tobacco? the local smoke shop has some good sounding flavors, but there is a chemical taste to them that i just can't stand.

Probably propylene (SP?) glycol, it's used as a humectant to keep the tobacco moist. It works, but some people are sensitive to the flavor. It's use a lot more in the blends that are sold over the counter.

Plenty of good online shops, smokingpipes.com, 4noggins.com, cupojoes.com, I use pipesandcigars.com quite a bit myself.

now i really want to have a pipe. dang.

is there a good internet site to grab some pipe tobacco? the local smoke shop has some good sounding flavors, but there is a chemical taste to them that i just can't stand.

Like Shooter was saying, cupojoes.com has an excellent selection of tobacco and respectable prices. If you want a briar pipe instead of corncob don't overlook estate pipes as you can get into a great pipe affordably...or get a classic (someday I will get my pre-transition Barling, oh yes, I will), smokingpipes.com is great for that as they do a really good job on cleaning them up and being honest about the condition (its where I bought mine)...however, their site seems to be down at the moment.

There is an art to smoking a pipe, just like there is an art to properly cutting and lighting a cigar. Of course its a little more involved with a pipe, but there are some good youtube videos on how to do it and you will get the hang of it. That said, I rarely make it through a pipe without relighting a few times...you gotta work it, keep it in your mouth and give it a little draw every few breaths you take.

I'm enjoying a Bariay 1492. Nice smoke. A bit pricey for me though.

image-1272793101.jpg

I'm enjoying a Bariay 1492. Nice smoke. A bit pricey for me though.

I see you ignore British etiquette which says to remove the band so you don't make someone smoking an inferior cigar feel inadequate :D

Bensiff said:
I see you ignore British etiquette which says to remove the band so you don't make someone smoking an inferior cigar feel inadequate :D

Well I was by myself so no harm, no foul. If someone is smoking with me at my place they have choice of anything in my humidor.

I use C.I. and their specials.

Unless I get lucky and have a friend coming home from Canada. Then a Cohiba usually finds it's way to me!

My favorite thing about C.I. Is their blend lab. SD-5555 is a fantastic full bodied cigar.

Just bought my first humidor today. As if I needed another hobby... SWMBO will be thrilled :cross:

I think I can safely say I would not have ventured into cigars if I wasn't a craft beer fanatic, but putting them together is awesome. I also got a pipe, which will probably be more of a regular smoke for me, since a cigar is a long term commitment and usually I'll want only a half a bowl.

I'll be interested in figuring out what pairings work and which don't..

Any favorite cigar/beer pairings?

scotch
given my preference when smoking cigars it's scotch ... a double, straight up, and a tall soda (that's club soda) on the side.

Laphroaig is my favorite
anything "glen" will do in a pinch
other than a single malt, I'll take a Teachers ... it's half malt. (on it's mother's side)
For a non single malt ... The Famous Grouse.

Back