Cigars and Homebrew - Getting the Most out of Both

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cigar-article-798.jpg

Who doesn't like to kick back, knock the top off or pull a pint of tasty homebrew, settle in and let the worries of the world slide off your back? Sounds good right but what if I told you that you can take that to the next level by adding a fine, well-made cigar to the equation? For me, that is next level of relaxation.
Either one in is a fine way to unwind their own right, but when you find the right combination of beer and cigar everything else seems to fade away. The tricky part is finding that pair.
hbt-cigar-2-796.jpg

Beer and cigars can both be very assertive, so finding a balance, and deciding what you what to showcase can take a few attempts, but the search and experimentation is well worth it. What follows is my take on how I approach building a pairing.
The Beer: This may shock some of you, but there is more to beer than B.M.C. (LOL) so as brewers we know that beer is wide open and varied, comes in almost every conceivable style and taste and ranges from simple to complex flavor profiles.
There is no way I could ever break it down to all the major styles, let alone the amazing creations we can come up with, so to keep it simple if I am basing my cigar in relation to the beer (the beer is the showcase element) then I look at bitterness, maltiness and texture to decide on what type of cigar I will go with. Seeing as how this is a beer centered forum, we will focus on the beer as the star of the show.
Bitterness: IPA/DIPA and any other really hop-forward beer will kill a robust earthy cigar. I tend to look for cigars with grassy/hay notes as the main flavor component, lots of Cuban cigars fit this profile and one of my favorites to pair with hoppy beer is the Cohiba Siglo VI.
Malt: Malt-forward beers, and deep dark Porters and Stouts have a sweet, heavy, and roasted flavor profile, finding cigars to pair with them means you need to step up into some of the heavy hitters.
For me, there are 2 ways to go you can balance the sweetness and pair with a nice Maduro cigar. I am a huge fan of the MUWAT or the Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva No. 77 (Shark). The other way to go is pair with the roasted nature of some of the darker/fuller beers. For this, I think you need to find a good strong cigar that packs a punch and carries lots of earth tobacco flavors, for example almost anything from Litto Gomez, or from the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero line up.
Texture: Beers with a big creamy mouth feel need a creamy cigar to go with it. Taste can be all over the place when you are only looking at mouth feel, so for me I just try to pair the sensations. Almost any cigar profile can be paired if all you are looking at is the texture of the beer so long as you look for the same texture in the smoke of the cigar. My absolute favorite is the Magnum R from Arturo Fuente, the Rosado wrapper is like smoking velvet. I also tend to smoke anything I like with a toothy Cameroon wrapper.
hbt-cigar-3-797.png

So there is a short explanation of how one guy goes about putting a beer and cigar together. Now for a few more pairings that I find work pretty well together.
Original Release Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra and a Chocolate Porter or Stout - Both carry some nice deep bold flavors. The hint of sweetness from the Sumatra wrapper and the strength of the Edge line match well with most all Porters or Stouts, but finding a beer with the chocolate kick makes it that much better.
hbt-cigar-795.jpg

Hefeweizen / AVO Connecticut or Ashton Cabinet. - Never been a huge fan of the Connie wrapper, but when you pair the creamy smoke and subtle spice with the phenol/clove and body of the Hefe, something just seems to click.
Right now, I think my favorite pairing is Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout with a Liga Privada #9. I wish I had a picture or the words to get across how amazing this pair is. The heavy oak and bourbon of the beer tries hard to out-compete the deep Oscuro wrapper and full tobacco of the LP#9 but they just seem to meet in the sweet spot.
Cheers!
Tim
cigar-article-798.jpg

I like to smoke a stogie on brew days. i lite up when i start the boil since for 60-90 min im just sitting there adding hops at various times.

What a great post! I'm a big fan of the Acid (Blue line specifically) and find they almost all pair exceptionally well with any sour beer. I really enjoy an Acid Kuba Kuba and a glass of Flanders Red (Rodenbach Grand Cru has been the best I think). The sweetness from the cigar and the sour complexity of the beer really go well together, and are way better than the sum of their parts. Now I want a cigar and a beer. It's a shame it's not even 1pm EST yet!

So we're all into brewing-your-own, you can roll-your-own stoggies also. Best selection of tobacco leaf is available on http://wholeleaftobacco.com/. And if you really want to get into it, you can grow-you-own, seeds and info available on http://fairtradetobacco.com/. I've been growing and rolling my own smokes for about 6 years now, and will never go back to store-bought, cheaper and higher quality.

Great article! I love pairing a PDS4 with a mildly hoppy IPA. I've found that I lose some of the complexity of some higher end cigars if the beer compliments the taste too much. It's a wonderful to have the two flavors build on each other, you just lose some of the subtle notes of the cigar in my opinion. I usually end up smoking something midrange in this case. The maduro/stout combo is hard to beat. I've also noticed that if the cigar and beer pairing don't compliment each other, they almost seem to cleanse the palate for each other. The spice of a rich sungrown really stands out after a drink of a bitter breakfast stout. Thanks for the writeup. I'll have to try a few of these pairings.

Great article I am one of those that likes to have a cigar and a good homebrew to kick back on the deck and enjoy the day. Life is good

It is always a good day when these two old friends get together. I like pairing a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur with a good Black IPA. The spicy peppery notes from the cigar pair well with the slight roastiness and hops of the Black IPA.
But there are many good pairings with great cigars and great beers.

Excellent pairings! I think the Cameroon Hemingway line are also great paired with cream ales or lagers of any kind, and the Hemingway Maduro Best Seller is excellent with a nice milder stout or porter. For a Heavier/Richer Stout I love the Partaga No 4. The pepper that softens as you go and strong coffee and earth flavors throughout the No 4 make a great combination.

@BlueZooBrewing
You are right on, a Cameroon wrapper is an awesome choice for a cream ale, it alos goes well with Steem Beers too!!!

Hello, this is my first day joining the forum and I was happy to have stumbled across this article. My father smoked cigars and left me a beautiful humidor stuffed full of legends, some going back to 1954. He liked to drink a beer with a cigar after work though he never home brewed though knowing him he probably would have if home brewing was as big as it is today. I've continued that tradition ( or maybe obsession) and enjoy both. I've found that like different wines go with different meals different beers pair with different cigars. For me I like a barley wine with a stronger cigar like a legaro forward like Undercrown or powerhouse type such as a Bolivar pyrimedes or a Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure. For ales a medium bodied type like a Partagas or Ramon Allones or Trinidad or similar. And light summer beer types something with less nicotine and a more subtle flavor like a Montecristo or Flor De Antilles or an Illusion. I guess I'm trying to say to me it pairs better when the two are in balance with each other power wise and flavor wise.
I make BlackBerry wine every year but I've just gotten back into home brewing beer. I messed around with it in my early 20s which was a couple of years ago (like 30) and it's gotten me all excited again to see what time has brought to the home brewer. This great blog I just stumbled across and joined,all grain brew and lager brewing. It's got me interested all over again. I should have stuck with it I might even have had my own brewery by now! But I'm back and eager to learn everything that has happened since I've been out of it. Nice meeting all of you.

I agree completely. This is my first day joining and I decided to do so after stumbling across this article. It's a subject near and dear. The best thing is how many choices there are today. When I just started smoking there was nothing to be had from Honduras or the Dominican and just a few brands from Honduras. My father smoked cigars and left me a humidor with some Cubans he had from before the embargo but now days besides Cuban there are tons to choose from. And many every bit as good at least to me as Cuban just a different flavor profile. I really like the legiro forward powerhouses they have now and Illusion epernay is my favorite cigar of any I've had and I like it with a pilsner or bock type beer. The cigar smoker as well as the beer drinker are very lucky these days.

Back