Cigar fans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
So I decided not long ago that I wanted to get into a cigar here and there. In one of my field and streams there was a deal for a 10 sample and a humidor (40 count) for $29.00 so i ordered one.

Should be here this week. Any cigar guys here? I imagine there MUST be lol :tank:

Subscribed! I'm in the same boat. I love a cigar now and then, but I usually depend on my buddies to make the selections because I don't know enough about it to make good choices, yet.

I'm really looking forward to getting an outdoor rig set up in the spring and having brew time be cigar time too.

Bolivar Cofradia, use to just be Bolivar Fuentes, you can find them on jrcigar.com They are awesome IMHO. Maybe a little strong if you're new to cigar smoking, so you might want to try out the plain Bolivar.

Bolivar Cofradia:
"ORIGIN: Honduras
WRAPPER: Connecticut Broadleaf/Ecuador Sumatra
BINDER: Connecticut
FILLER: Honduras/Nicaragua
STRENGTH: Full

Originally created by the legendary Estelo Padrón, the Bolivar Cofradia is a bold, robust smoke with heavy flavors of earth and spice. This rich blend of some of the world's finest hearty tobaccos makes for a full-bodied, intoxicating cigar with a decadent flavor, heady aroma, and intense finish. Packed in heavy Spanish-cedar cabinets, this one is geared toward the more experienced connoisseur."

They are a great smoke. I've smoked the legendary Havana cigars, MonteChristo, Partagas, etc. The Bolivars are just as good if not better. YMMV

Been a cigar lunatic for years.. I used to work at a local shop while studying in Universtiy, and I attend the big smoke almost every year in Vegas.

So the package came in the mail today. 12 cigars in total, boxes of matches, and a pretty nice looking humidor. Can't wait to try one of these

Make sure you read up on seasoning the humidor before using it. I recomend getting a good cutter and stick with wooden matches or a quality butane lighter. If youre looking for other brands check out anything from Drew Estate or CAO. Those are my favorite.

Yea i read the humidor book and started all that.

Is it true you don't inhale into your lungs, only your mouth?

I hear ya. Actually, mine just surprised me last week with 5 of my favorite smokes because she says "i actually liked the smell of that one" so you never know.

I'm not have a cigar guy but when I do buy cigars I get acid brand cigars there pretty good.

My buddy and I brew outside and always have a cigar and a few homebrews while brweing. Check out Cigars international. If you get the deal of the day, your whole order ships free. You can get good deals on cigarbid.com, an auction site, but you have to have a feel for the prices.

If you're just getting into cigars, 5 Vegas Gold are nice mild cigars, and not too expensive. Enjoy your gars and new hunmidor, and as someone else mentioned, be sure to cure it and keep a humidifier in there.

Drew Estate Tobak Especial. Its a limited release called "Redeye". What is in your sampler?

Let's see, cause I don't really know!

Small writing on some, so bear with me:

macamudo cru royale
cohiba
cifuentes cia partagas 1845
hoyo de monterrey excalibur dark knight
fabrica de tabacco miami
vegas 5 cask strength
la gloria cubana
sancho panza honduras
cao gold manduro
joyade nicaragua celebration

nukinfuts29 said:

Just pull the smoke into your mouth not your lungs.

Sounds good. I've been meaning to try the 5 Vegas. Macanudo is good, you'll like that CAO gold, its mellow but flavorful. Cohiba is always good but pricey.

Enjoy!

macamudo cru royale
cohiba
fabrica de tabacco miami
vegas 5 cask strength
la gloria cubana
sancho panza honduras
cao gold manduro

Not bad at all for the price.

With the humi you want to make sure that it seals well and you will probably just want to throw away the humidifier that came with it and get beads.

When I bought my humidor I got the xyxar (sp) humidifier and gel and I think the $12 is totally worth it. A good seal is very important!

Yea if i like this "hobby" i plan to get a different humidifier. This one is a round air freshener looking thing. I have a shot glass of water in there with it too to speed up the seasoning.

nukinfuts29 said:
Yea if i like this "hobby" i plan to get a different humidifier. This one is a round air freshener looking thing. I have a shot glass of water in there with it too to speed up the seasoning.

Mine looks just like an air freshener too and fits perfectly where the original fit.

Here's the liquid. I haven't added any in like 4 months.

image-2862308693.jpg

image-4191606040.jpg

image-1538421364.jpg

macamudo cru royale
cohiba
fabrica de tabacco miami
vegas 5 cask strength
la gloria cubana
sancho panza honduras
cao gold manduro

Not familiar with all of them, but overall,those all seem like pretty decent smokes. If you got those and a humidor for $29, that's a real nice deal. May have to pick up a field and stream and check out that deal.

Yours are on the lid? Mine has a sticky pad but i thought if i put it there, it would leak and drip water into the wood and cigars....

It doesn't matter, you won't want to use that sponge thing. They are crap. Get some heartfelt beads. Heartfelt Industries, Heartfelt Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads, Heartfelt Beads, Humidors, Quality Cigar Accessories

If not then at least get some gel from a cigar shop.

To test the seal stick a dollar bill in it and close it. If you can easily pull out the bill then the seal sucks.

The deal is here, if it is still going:

http://www.cigar.com/CGSAV90

Thanks, I have a buddy that just the other day said he wants to get a humi and start keeping some on hand. I'll either send that to him or just get it for him.

nukinfuts29 said:
Yours are on the lid? Mine has a sticky pad but i thought if i put it there, it would leak and drip water into the wood and cigars....

The deal is here, if it is still going:

http://www.cigar.com/CGSAV90

Yes it's on the lid. When you soak it the little beads expand and just soak up all the liquid you put on it. Once it's done soaking up all the liquid then you pat up any excess and put back in the humidor and let settle and adjust. The humidifier is supposed to keep an even 70% humidity. I think my gauge is off because it's always been high according to the gauge.

Make sure that the water you use is distilled water (or propylene glycol/distilled water) and not tap water.

Also, don't forget to regularly keep your humidifier "recharged". Check the humidity every few weeks and when it drops below 60% or so, then recharge it.

I've been smoking cigars for about 10 years. I started with a small humidor and then wanting more space moved to a large cooler. They work great at holding humidity and offer a lot of space for the money.

Now I use a wine refrigerator with drawers for singles and space for boxes.
I love having a smoke while I brew and have a few home brews!

It doesn't matter, you won't want to use that sponge thing. They are crap. Get some heartfelt beads. Heartfelt Industries, Heartfelt Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads, Heartfelt Beads, Humidors, Quality Cigar Accessories

If not then at least get some gel from a cigar shop.

To test the seal stick a dollar bill in it and close it. If you can easily pull out the bill then the seal sucks.

Thanks, I have a buddy that just the other day said he wants to get a humi and start keeping some on hand. I'll either send that to him or just get it for him.

It passed the dollar bill test very well.

Make sure that the water you use is distilled water (or propylene glycol/distilled water) and not tap water.

Also, don't forget to regularly keep your humidifier "recharged". Check the humidity every few weeks and when it drops below 60% or so, then recharge it.

Why not tap? My tap tests out the same as distilled, literally, so i'm not too worried.

I'm fairly new to cigars myself. But the ones i've found that i like the best so far are the Trader Jack's kickin cigars. They're rum infused, mild and to me just taste good. They were $1 each at the local store for churchills, i grabbed 2 then came back 2 days later for the 20 pack ($17). They were highly recommended by the cigar shop worker (despite me looking at the much higher priced stuff when she askd if i wanted any advice), at $1 each i figured they were hardly a gamble to see if i liked them or not.

Inhale... and you'll probably puke. There's WAY too much nicotine in a cigar as well and they're not meant to be inhaled. Lots of folks do...not me. I've got 500+ cigars resting peacefully in 3 humidors in my office and enjoy a good smoke whenever I can. Enjoy your new found hobby. Careful though...you too will have several hundred stogies before you know it!

Here's the liquid. I haven't added any in like 4 months.

That humidor it just fine. I keep a shot glass in mine as well most of the year as our humidity is relatively low. As for seal on the humidor, humidors aren't meant to be an airtight seal, they need to breath a little as humidity and temps increase and decrease.

Back