Cidery Off Flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymartin89

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanting a little bit of advice or explanation. I have recently just brewed a Coopers Canadian Blonde using the kit and yeast. I brewed at a constant 18,C and sanitised well before brewing. They brew has been in bottles for around 3/4 weeks now and i cracked one open the other day to find a distinct cider smell and strong taste. Will it subside with longer conditioning? Or is it a write off?

Regards, Dan

Cidery has two likely causes.

1) Light beer recipes with lots of added sugar. Most yeast don't love that and many kick off some cidery tasting byproducts. If that is the case, those should fade with time. They tend to fade faster if you leave the beer on the yeastcake a bit longer vs once it is in the bottle.

2) Bacterial infection

If it gets better with time, its number 1. If it gets worse, its number 2.

I recently made what I'm hoping turns out to be a Double IPA. When I transferred it to the clearing vessel there was some insane mulled apple and cider tastes. Yes, it did include refined sugar, around 20%*. I tasted a hydrometer sample about a week after the transfer and that is all but gone. Now I do have it still sitting on a yeast cake so there is much more yeast to do the work on getting rid of off flavours. I'd pack it in a closet for another month or so and try then.

*Reading brewing articles near daily. Lesson learned, but can't change whats in the carboy. FWIW yeast didn't crap out early and I did hit target FG.

Hi again. I used about 700g of dextrose and 500g of light dry malt in 5 gallons. I also left the beer in the fermenter for about 2 and a half weeks. Looks like ill have to play the waiting game then.

Regards, Dan

Back