Cider yeast starter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecheberline

Reaction score
Im planning on making alot of cider, and want to know if i should do a yeast starter? Im planning on using nottingham dry ale.
Im going to be making 5 gallon batches, and splitting int into 2 carboys. Any ideas for my best results?

If no starter needed can i split the yeast packet in two for the 2. 2 and a half gallons?

Ive never used a yeast starter and have had no issues, but I do make sure and pitch it at the specified temprature. I would use 2 standard size packs of dry yeast per 5 gallon container or 1 pack per 2.5 gallon to give them a good start...u don't want to stress the yeast by under pitching. Pitching on the heavy side is better than too little.

I typically make a starter for my yeast, but I've never had a bad outcome by just pitching dry. Splitting the packet will be fine. Yeast stress is all about temperature and nutrients, not the amount pitched.

Back