Cider Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamarkid7

Reaction score
Hey guys, so it's about cider season and I wanted to try my hand at a hard cider. So the first thing I did was get everything together for a cider yeast starter. The starter came together great. The problem was when it came time to pitch the yeast into the juice. I got my juice and my sugar into my carboy and last thing I did was pitch yeast. I think I made a mistake. I put everything into the car boy but when I went to clean the growled that I had the yeast starter in I saw a bunch of settled material come out of the bottom and down the drain it went. Believe it was my yeast. Should I make another starter and repitch. Any information would be great. Thanks guys.

How much yeast down the drain are you talking?
Did you swirl your starter then pitch it?

Chances are you are just fine. A little bit of a yeast down the drain is fine.. there is more than enough that was in your starter that went into the carboy.

Interesting development... so just as i thought i lost my yeast i came home and they are going flipping crazy!!! its like they woke up and were starving...

Back