Cider yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhelderman

Reaction score
First time cider maker here. Got my first batch started today. Used 5 gallons of store bought cider. Emptied them into a sanitized 6.5 gallon bucket and added about a half pound of honey. When I added the yeast, I gave the mixture a good stir rather than letting it just sit on the surface. I have now read it's best to let the yeast sit on the top of the cider rather than stir it in. Does this matter? Will my cider still be alright?

I would think it'll be fine but thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance for your help.

I will usually mix up a little start batch for my yeast.

5 Gallon mix:

1 cup warm water
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 package of yeast

I mix this all up and let it sit for 1-4 hours before I start my fermentation. Most people vigorously shake up the Cider so that there is more oxygen in the cider which the yeast needs to be healthy.

I did not mix the yeast with warm water before to let it bloom. I've baked a lot of sourdough bread from starter and used this technique but did not do it today.

So I'm guessing the only side effect of pitching the yeast directly into 64 degree cider and giving a stir is that it'll just take a little longer to start vigorously fermenting?

It may have killed off some cells. For later reference, you should rehydrate dry yeast before pitching to ensure you keep all of the living cells that you can. It's super easy. I boil about 4 oz of water, put it in a sanitized glass measuring cup, cover it with tin foil, and let it cool. After 10 min or so, I use my sanitized thermometer to check my temp. I'm looking anywhere from 80-90 F. If I'm in that range, I stir the yeast in with a sanitized spoon and replace the foil. Wait 15 min. Restir and pitch the slurry into the fermenter.

Alright so when should I start to get worried? I pitched the yeast directly into the cider per the directions (did not "bloom", as explained above) into room temp cider. I moved it downstairs where it's avout 64 degrees and have seen zero action. No bubbles whatsoever. It's been about 18 hours and nothing. When should I be concerned there's no fermentation happening? What can I do to salvage this batch if there's no fermentation going on? Thanks.

If the yeast was at the same temp as the cider you're fine. If the cider was room temp and yeast came out of your fridge you might have thermal shocked the yeast. Should never be more than 10 degrees different.

What yeast did you use?

I bet it's fine. Re-hydrating yeast in water before pitching is better but not necessary. If, after 72 hours your hydrometer doesn't show any sign of fermentation then simply re-pitch more yeast.

If the yeast was at the same temp as the cider you're fine. If the cider was room temp and yeast came out of your fridge you might have thermal shocked the yeast. Should never be more than 10 degrees different.

What yeast did you use?

Both yeast and cider were room temp. Bought cider off the shelf at the grocery store and the yeast off the shelf at the home brew store. I used Cider House Select yeast.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cider-House-Select-Cider-Yeast-Sachet_p_5043.html

I have fiddled with the airlock a couple times and accidentally squirted some of the water in the airlock into the cider. We'll see how she turns out. If it's putrid I'll start over.

I have fiddled with the airlock a couple times and accidentally squirted some of the water in the airlock into the cider. We'll see how she turns out. If it's putrid I'll start over.

What are you keeping in your airlock?

Back