Cider using supermarket apple juice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerpie

Reaction score
Hello,
Last night I started a cider using a 3litre bottle of Supermarket Apple Juice.
I have attached 2 pics of my setup with the contents of the apple juice.
I opened the lid and took a reading with my hydrometer and it was 1042.. or should that be 1.042?
I then added a 5gram pack of brewing yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae).
Put the lid on and it has been bubbling away for a while now.
I was wondering, Should I remove the lid in a few days and take another reading with my hydrometer and at what point should I either put a normal lid back on and put it in the fridge, OR put some carbonation tablets in it and bottle it into a few bottles and put them in the fridge?
Or should I not put it straight in the fridge and bottle them with some carbonation tablets and store them in a cool area for a few weeks or a few days?

Thanks for any assistance guys.

Golden Circle 3Ltr Bottle Contents_resized.jpg

Golden Circle 3Ltr Bottle_resized.jpg

Let it fully ferment out of direct sunlight for attests 7-14 days. When you see no more bubbling you change/rack to a secondary and leave for another 7-14 days. Then bottle carb or straight bottle for as long as you want to age before you consume

You'll want to get a hydrometer reading after visible signs of fermentation have stopped, then get another reading 2 days later. If your gravity hasn't dropped in that time it's done fermenting and ready to bottle. Bottling too early runs the risk of bombs

Back