cider turned out great !!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laker

Reaction score
I wanted to share these recipes - Why is it that the one with a wild yeast is so much better .

First batch used wyeast 4766 turned out fizzy , not real good

Second batch wyeast 2035 better but not great ( beer yeast )

Third batch no manufactured yeast

Pretty much all the same ingredients 4 1/2 gal fresh cider , 4 pds white sugar , 1/2 pd brown and a pinch of salcylic acid .

The only difference is on the first two I didn't use as much sugar only 3 to 3 1/2 pds total . The third batch is so good I can't believe I made it . Its been sitting in the carboy since last Nov. never racked it over to a second carboy. Still sitting on a cake of yeast !

Maybe save that wild yeast you cultivated and see if you can recreate the success by putting some more apple juice on top of it P :)

Are you saying to put some of the good cider in another batch and it will carry over the same wild yeast , if so how much do I need to use to catch that wild yeast .

I'm on the edge of my seat here !! Can I capture the same wild yeast from the good batch and get it in another batch , Not sure if I understood the last post .

it was suggested that you take the yeast at the bottom of the old carboy and throw some new juice onto it. not to just add some of the old cider, there will be very little yeast in there.
might recreate the previous magic, might not, never know until you try it. if it's really old, i would rinse it first.

Can anyone give me more info on trying to capture the good wild yeast in my last batch . ITs one year old and still in the original carboy with the yeast cake on the bottom , its great tasting cider and if possible I'd like to see if I can duplicate it .

I would rack off the cider and add back a small amount of juice, maybe 1 gallon. If it starts fermenting pour/rack the now fermenting mixture into a gallon jug leaving most all of the solid cake at the bottom. Let that ferment out just until it is finished. Taste it. It won't be near as good as your 1 year old batch, but if it doesn't have any funky off flavors you have new healthy yeast at the bottom of that jug.

Back