Cider turned orange.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacTavish

Reaction score
Hello, I just started brewing my first batch of cider so I thought I would join here. What we did was collect wild apples and then pressed them ourselves adding campden tablets to kill the wild yeast. After a couple days I added a champaign yeast and yeast nutrient. Every thing looked good then two days ago the batches turned an orange juice colour.

I have only made mead before so I was wondering if someone could tell me what might have happened?

Thanks,

Edward

Probably just the yeast, will likely clear out to a straw color.

Just yeast. Things get very orange and milky for the first week or so.

Mine always does. Starts as brown cider. Turns orange with the yeast. Kinda gross looking. After I rack it clears and starts to look like store bought juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Everything cleared up. It was a little weak so I started the yeast up again with some brown sugar. Thank you for the help.

Almost ready to bottle.

image.jpg

Gotta ask how do you like those orange caps? I've only used rubber bungs or drilled stoppers. I like stopper better than the bung.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Gotta ask how do you like those orange caps? I've only used rubber bungs or drilled stoppers. I like stopper better than the bung.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

They are amazing! Saved my ass really. Took a sharp turn with a 5 gallon carboy of juice heading home from the mill and it tipped over in the back of my car. Orange cap stood strong not a drop spilled!

Latest posts

Back